Converting medium boxes?

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So I wanted to ask about converting medium boxes into deeps? (I don't mean moving frames to a deep but changing the box size via crafting.)

Can this work?

I don't see the point in having 3 different box sizes, all 3 different with deeps, mediums, and supers. That seems like a darn mess. I think even having 2 different sized stuff is a mess also.

But when they make everything different sizes its hard to change that.

I don't even understand why people would make mediums, since its a mess to have everything not match.

Why do they do that?

But more importantly than that, couldn't you modify the medium boxes to be deeps by just adding some more wood underneath and then screwing them together? What do you think about this?

MuldrowHomeFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welcome! I am assuming you have either been given mediums or inherited them some way. You can make them deeps via crafting but it is additional work. You would have to glue or bind them with latches but it could work. Personally, we run all deep boxes. So it all matches.
Yo answer your question, as to why there are different sizes: honestly it is a marketing technique to make more money. Many beekeepers believe deeps are only for brood. The supers are for honey. Also, many folks cannot lift 100 lbs of honey or bees, if you are only using deeps. I solved that problem by using a 5 frame nuc and removing one frame at a time. I can carry 50 lbs but not 100lbs.
Instead of modifying your medium boxes, sell them and buy deeps. Just my opinion! Good luck!

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you very much.