Cougar Attack!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not a cougar attack on our place, but a cougar killed 5 goats only a mile from us several nights ago. We stood in line yesterday for 1 1/2 hours to vote and got to visiting with people. Behind us was a neighbor that we know and he was telling us about the goats being killed. His neighbor next to him, that we don't personally know, has goats with donkeys as pasture guards. A cougar killed 5 of the goats several nights ago, eating on some of them. That's too close for comfort! It sure makes us glad that our dogs BARK at night! Just another reason why donkeys are not always the best choice for pasture guards.

We got to talking to a couple in front of us who live about 8 miles from us, they raise cattle. They told us about a cougar that came in their yard, chased the cats up on the roof of their house. The cats jumped down to escape the cougar, the cougar jumped off the roof, landing on their car, which caved in the top of the car. The cats ran under the car, the cougar went around the car, scratching it all up in the process to get at the cats. They had the game warden out the next day, he measured the paw prints at 4" across and estimated the cougar to be around 260 pounds. They had to file all kinds of reports and lots of pictures with the insurance company in order to get the car fixed! The man said that the cougar came back the next night, was up on the roof of their house and they could hear it up there stomping around. He said he still walks outside looking up at the roof, expecting a cougar to jump on him.

Just because you don't see them or hear them, doesn't mean that cougars are not out there. It is best to prepare for anything, keep your livestock safe and have LGD's to deter predators. Notice I said "deter" because if an apex predator really wants to, they will attack livestock. Your best defense is those awesome dogs that bark music to our ears.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Holy Cow! That is waaaaay to close. Glad you've got a bunch of big, barky dogs! The most I've had to contend with is a bobcat that killed one goat, injured another and totally carried away a kid one year. But none - zero - nada since I've had LGD's. And, we have seen and heard cougars in the vicinity. With our expanding deer population that come closer and closer to the house - I'm kind of worried that a cougar might follow them and see my goats as easier prey. So, really glad I've got the crew out there that doesn't mind working 24/7.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
There are 6 homes on 2 acres each that back up to our place on the road around the corner. Our neighbor in the last house went outside just before dark this evening and heard a cougar scream. Just to be sure, he listened to cougar screams on youtube. Yep, it was a cougar. That darn thing is CLOSE. Way too close to suit me. We will be working on the sheep lot in the next few days. As of right now, Trip can climb out, come to the house and go up on the porch or under it. We are going to fix it so I can close up the sheep at night, AND Mr. Trip! During thunderstorms, we always let him stay on the screened porch, as he is terrified of thunder and lightening. He's just going to have to suck it up. Sentry needs help. Right now, Sentry would be a cougar snack. Sentry barks, but it is not scary at all! I am not liking this!

MiniGoatsRule

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
There are 6 homes on 2 acres each that back up to our place on the road around the corner. Our neighbor in the last house went outside just before dark this evening and heard a cougar scream. Just to be sure, he listened to cougar screams on youtube. Yep, it was a cougar. That darn thing is CLOSE. Way too close to suit me. We will be working on the sheep lot in the next few days. As of right now, Trip can climb out, come to the house and go up on the porch or under it. We are going to fix it so I can close up the sheep at night, AND Mr. Trip! During thunderstorms, we always let him stay on the screened porch, as he is terrified of thunder and lightening. He's just going to have to suck it up. Sentry needs help. Right now, Sentry would be a cougar snack. Sentry barks, but it is not scary at all! I am not liking this!
Sorry that I'm not following with this... Who's Trip?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Trip is my male Great Pyrenees. He likes to jump fences, which was ok until he decided to tour the neighborhood and that’s not ok. To be sure, he is spoiled. On stormy nights, he is on the screened porch because he is scared of thunder. We also have Paris, female GP that is about 10 years old. Our farm dog is Carson, a black Lab/Great Dane cross. He’s the LGD sidekick. LOL And that’s our dog crew!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think she just assumed Sentry is not yet ready to scare off much more than a rabbit. In time, he will be Trips "right hand man". Until then, yep he's cougar snack. 🙄 -- which isn't good either.

Wow, that thing has decided the "neighborhood" has way too many easy prey dinners! He won't leave while there isn't anything available. Hope the area animal control is on board to trap & relocate that cat.

Otherwise, SSS would be in order. Unfortunately, they prefer nocturnal hunts. It's a big one, too.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
There is 20-30 acres between us and another neighbor, 2 nights ago, neighbor heard the cougar screaming between him and us. Dogs were going nuts. Guess their ruckus made the cougar go for something easier.