Cougar Attack!

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:epwow, that's crazy and way to close for comfort. Defiantly stay armed and aware. Glad you have those dogs to help you !
Be Safe!

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Oh my goodness! That is way too close for comfort. Stay safe and take the needed precautions. I hope all is safe and quiet on you place and stays that way. Ill be thinking of you.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Holy Cow! That is waaaaay to close. Glad you've got a bunch of big, barky dogs! The most I've had to contend with is a bobcat that killed one goat, injured another and totally carried away a kid one year. But none - zero - nada since I've had LGD's. And, we have seen and heard cougars in the vicinity. With our expanding deer population that come closer and closer to the house - I'm kind of worried that a cougar might follow them and see my goats as easier prey. So, really glad I've got the crew out there that doesn't mind working 24/7.
Last year we had a bobcat attack our neighbors full grown horse twice! It tried to go after our animals (goats and chickens) but got scared because of our neighbors shepherd dogs. I love them so much lol.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
There hasn't been any more new reports on the cougar, but that doesn't mean that it is gone. They have a large territory, it is probably making the rounds. When the coyotes are howling, I figure the cougar is not around. When the coyotes go silent, I figure the apex predator is lurking somewhere. I love my Livestock Guard Dogs!

wild stallion

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
wow
Our neighbors had a bear on their property once, it was on their property because of a forest fire. They also had a buried dead goat that the bear was trying to get.

WyoLiving

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My cousin had a cougar attack her horses while they were out on pasture. Of course the WI DNR said that there are no cougar in WI. Her barrel racing horse had 2 sets of scratch marks down both sides of his body and bite marks on his neck. Luckily, except for the scratches, he was OK but pretty shook up. He did get some infection in a couple of the bite marks but she was on top of it and it healed fine. She had lost one of the mini horse foals a couple of nights before and had assumed it was coyotes. From the torn up ground she figures her riding horse put up a pretty good fight and chased the cat off. A few weeks before, one of her neighbors had seen cat tracks in the mud by the river about 1.5 miles away but didn't tell anyone because he figured no-one would believe him.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd take pictures of those prints with a ruler next to them if they are clear. Take them to the DNR, hard to argue with visual proof. Seems like cougars "don't exist" in a lot of states where they are seen.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cougars are out there. They are going into neighborhoods in Los Angeles and snatching pets for an easy meal. I'm glad we have our dogs. A cougar will attack dogs too, but the fight would be on and the cougar knows it.

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
wow
Our neighbors had a bear on their property once, it was on their property because of a forest fire. They also had a buried dead goat that the bear was trying to get.
Bears scare the heck out of me. Makes me scared to have bees, it attracts them . Everyone with bees around here has fencing and electric wire surrounding them because they can be such a nuisance.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Actually California is a place where mountain lions have always been, not like the places east where they were exterminated therefore can't exist (except they are apparently slowly moving back in). Fires and habitat loss from human encroachment bring the wild animals "in" to the populated areas.

Latest posts