Coughing Ewe-No fever

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
I kill ALL slugs and snails I see. Hate them now that I have goats. Snails carry and transport nearly all worms and eggs that goats adn sheep get.

Bridgemoof

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yep, where there is water, there is probably snails! We are going to treat them with a dose of Safeguard or Ivermictin today, since we just treated her with Ivermictin, maybe we will go with the Safeguard. She is not coughing anymore, incidentally, since we gave her the shot of LA200. :hu

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
A regular fecal cannot detect the lungworm . I know Rollins Lab here in NC doesn't even do the Baermann technique. I know even Rollins said it is so unreliable that you'd could end up getting false negatives over and over and it is pricey. In theory I could run a Baermanns float but it isn't that easy and 4 hours etc and retesting UGH.

Maybe there is a "newer" method that is more reliable that I haven't heard of.
we have alot of wet areas and a stream...LOTS of snails here....like crazy, so we have to watch for lungworm.

The Baermann's Technique is the only way of testing for lungworm that I'm aware of.

The treatments for lungworm really vary from species to species. Some things in cattle /sheep are not effective in goats, sometimes iyt is by way of administration. Safeguard doesn't work... regardless of what it says.

I wonder if the coughing is more because she's pregnant...happens in goats all the time so I imagine it would in sheep too. It seems more often when they start getting "larger". :lol: When is she due...I'd wait til she lambs and see if it clears.

oh, and HI bridge! :)

Remuda1

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Meant to post earlier. Glad to hear the cough is gone, looks like the LA200 was key. Sometimes all you can do is cover all of the bases. You may have caught a respiratory infection very early :).

Bridgemoof

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We didn't get around to worming anybody today, too much other stuff going on. But a terrifying though popped into my head, and that was that maybe Uriah rammed Lily and she has some kind of internal injury. But she seems to be better. I'm also so paranoid now about the lungworm, I'm going to go to SS tomorrow and get some of that other stuff...levamisole?

I wonder if it is because she's pregnant. She's due in about 3 weeks, not very large yet. But that cough was just an awful loud croopy type cough!

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
Yes, levamisole, but they only have it it powder form now.

btw why are you so paranoid about lungworm? Just asking because it's not a huge deal really and there are two types of it. One makes them cough but does nothing to them and doesn't hurt them but the other kind is like any other worm in that it is not good for them.

Bridgemoof

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Really? I thought lungworm was deadly. I haven't done any research on it, but glad to hear it's not as serious as I thought. Whew!

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
The one type can kill them but it takes a long time to do it. It's not as bad as regular worms though where they can kill them fast. Really the biggest issue is that it makes them cough alot and you feel bad for them. But the one type can kill them after a while but I don't think she even has it. If she has stopped after the LA200 she probably had a respiratory issue as they do most of the time. Most of the time it is not lung worm.

Remuda1

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Straw Hat Kikos said:
The one type can kill them but it takes a long time to do it. It's not as bad as regular worms though where they can kill them fast. Really the biggest issue is that it makes them cough alot and you feel bad for them. But the one type can kill them after a while but I don't think she even has it. If she has stopped after the LA200 she probably had a respiratory issue as they do most of the time. Most of the time it is not lung worm.
X2. Don't be worried :). Especially since she's quit coughing :). I think it must have been respiratory too.

Bridgemoof

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
FYI Lily's cough has returned and a few others are coughing now as well. I'm going to get the Levamisol, they have it in the powder form at my SS> the cough just sounds awful and I feel sorry for them.