Could be emergency?? Please help!

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My doe is supposedly 3 months pregnant (I bought her last week.) When I picked her up I did a check over and ligaments were firm and round as pencils. Went to give goats hay tonight and decided to check ligs cause she was acting a little antsy today, not herself …they are GONE, I can wrap my fingers all the way around the base of her tailbone, the entire area feels like mushy pudding. Could she be full term and the previous owners got dates wrong?? Could she be having a miscarriage?? She has a tiny bit of clear discharge…

Ebonythehorse

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
oh geez! so sorry i dont know since im new to goats but I'll be praying all is alright!

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
My doe is supposedly 3 months pregnant (I bought her last week.) When I picked her up I did a check over and ligaments were firm and round as pencils. Went to give goats hay tonight and decided to check ligs cause she was acting a little antsy today, not herself …they are GONE, I can wrap my fingers all the way around the base of her tailbone, the entire area feels like mushy pudding. Could she be full term and the previous owners got dates wrong?? Could she be having a miscarriage?? She has a tiny bit of clear discharge…
How is she?

And yes, goats are tricky as well as determined breeders.... a buck could have jumped a fence when the owners didn't know....

Usually no tail ligaments means kids within 24 hours.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't worry. She may be getting ready to kid and the dates might be wrong from the breeder. Did the breeder have her running with the herd and bucklings/buck? Or was she hand bred with the breeder bringing the buck up on a lead or using a marking harness? Does the breeder have the dates the buck was in the pasture written down? We write down any dates that the bucks or does get loose is there is a possibility they have been exposed. OR she could be doing any one of several other things. If she is miscarrying, there is nothing you can do for her. However, I would get a Brucellosis blood test afterwards since brucellosis is one of the diseases that can cause miscarriage. BUT if she is in labor or getting ready to kid, just be ready for it.

You didn't say how old she is. If she is at least 1 year old, she should be ok. If much younger and getting ready to kid, then I would keep a closer watch on her since she might have trouble if she is a small doe and the kid is large.

Good luck and let us know.

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She is a year and a half old, supposedly freshened before, but absolutely no udder to speak of. Person I got them from had her and the other doe in a pasture with two bucks and one senior doe

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Update: brought them into the pen from the pasture and she immediately dropped. She lays down, gets up, walks around, lays down, gets up, walks around, lays down, repeat. I witnessed her rock from her sternum to her side, completely flat and tense, looked like she was having a seizure/contraction, don’t really know…

Ebonythehorse

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Update: brought them into the pen from the pasture and she immediately dropped. She lays down, gets up, walks around, lays down, gets up, walks around, lays down, repeat. I witnessed her rock from her sternum to her side, completely flat and tense, looked like she was having a seizure/contraction, don’t really know…
Sounds like shes going into labor. Keep us posted.