Cow not growing!?

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Katlyn Ann: I never meant to be blunt or attack you in any way. Hope there's no hard feelings. I do get frustrated when I see an animal that has been so sorely neglected as this one obviously has. I have raised cattle for all of my life, and it's hard for me to realize that people often can't see when animals are in need of help.

As to your calf, I'd still start her off with the Ivomec. It will take out several kinds of worms, and also most external parasites that she has. I still say she has either lice or mange from the look of her hindquarters. After the Ivomec, I'd go with Valbazen in a couple weeks. The Ivomec will take the Osteragia and brown stomach worms, and after they are gone the Valbazen will take the tapeworms if she has any. The reason for this is that the Osteragia and BSW's are the most common, and by taking them out immediately you will give her a couple weeks to gather some strength, and then come in with the heavy hitter of Valbazen. Sometimes dosing them with a very strong wormer like Valbazen can cause lots of problems when they are so debilitated.

Again, I'm very sorry if I caused you to think I was attacking you. Just get this calf back on the road to good health quickly, or she will die. Good luck!!!

Katlyn Ann

Just born
Reaction score
Katlyn Ann: I never meant to be blunt or attack you in any way. Hope there's no hard feelings. I do get frustrated when I see an animal that has been so sorely neglected as this one obviously has. I have raised cattle for all of my life, and it's hard for me to realize that people often can't see when animals are in need of help.

As to your calf, I'd still start her off with the Ivomec. It will take out several kinds of worms, and also most external parasites that she has. I still say she has either lice or mange from the look of her hindquarters. After the Ivomec, I'd go with Valbazen in a couple weeks. The Ivomec will take the Osteragia and brown stomach worms, and after they are gone the Valbazen will take the tapeworms if she has any. The reason for this is that the Osteragia and BSW's are the most common, and by taking them out immediately you will give her a couple weeks to gather some strength, and then come in with the heavy hitter of Valbazen. Sometimes dosing them with a very strong wormer like Valbazen can cause lots of problems when they are so debilitated.

Again, I'm very sorry if I caused you to think I was attacking you. Just get this calf back on the road to good health quickly, or she will die. Good luck!!!

I didnt feel attacked by you, you gave me the answer I needed and wanted, when I asked the question I never thought someone would reply and Id learn she was so bad off, just feels like everyone thinks I should know everything about cattle, truth is Im just a 15 yr old & I know hardly anything about them! Especially the sick ones. She normally doesnt look like that, her winter coat makes her look like she does have the mange. I'll do as you say & hopefully it helps her out. I attached another picture of what she really looks like, without her winter coat.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-02-14-17-44-44-1.png
    Screenshot_2015-02-14-17-44-44-1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 199