Cows Escaped!

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
The trick to a good fence is the tightness of the wires. I can't emphasize that enough.
For line posts, there is (unless you have frost upheaval problems ) there is absolultely no reason to plant the posts more than 2' in the ground. I have many hundreds of wooden and steel line posts in the ground here (over 900 for sure) and very very few of them are more than 6 1/2" total length, meaning for the most part, I have 50-55" sticking out of the ground.
There is nothing wrong with using staples even on a hot wire. There are insulated tubes you can put around the wire where the staple goes in. The staple is only used to hold the wire up...not hold it laterally.

In the last 5 years, I've had exactly 2 young calves get thru a fence and that was in low spots where a feral hog had broken the bottom wire.

What diameter wire are you using?

I'm going to caution you about something now.
In most states (and counties) the law says something to the effect of"
"No one may knowingly allow stock to roam freely"

What that means in legalese, is that if you 'know' you have either a cow that is prone to escape or know you have fence problems, and that cow gets out and causes any kind of damage to persons or an automobile, you are both financially liable and legally liable (fines, civil suit damages, and/or confiscation of the animals by the authorities.
It is the "knowingly" part that gets folks in trouble.

States and courts recognize the old axiom of Neither man nor God ever built a fence strong enough or high enough to keep a determined cow in or a determined lawyer out but if you are aware you have fence problems and those problems cause damage to the public, the 1st part of that axiom is thrown out the window of the courtroom.
Fix the problem fence or get rid of the problem animal.
Why?
Nothing posted on the internet, especially if posted from an iPhone, ever really goes away.

Last edited:

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
Great advice! In Tennessee, I do believe they hold you responsible if your livestock gets out and causes damage. Years ago, my Mom had a run in with a cow going to work, and the owner paid for the repairs on her car. Cant say the same for the cow.
I had to wait until I got home from work to look and see what gauge wire I had. The original three strands that were put up when I had my had my horse are 14 gauge. The two new strands my neighbor and I put up in between the 14 g is 17 gauge. Its thinner, but Russ, my neighbor, said that once they learn to respect the fence( I guess that means getting shocked) they wont try to get out. There are five strands total on the fence.
Personally, I dont like the thinner wire.
The posts its attached to are 4 x 4 wood posts. Some have been replaced with t- posts as they have rotted out over the years. The wood posts are two feet deep, with four feet above ground.
Since Ive been letting the girls out, they seem to be content staying in. Tonight they were up by the front of the barn and walked right in when I went out to herd them in. Still a little flighty, but Im not looking to make freinds. Just want them to come in or go in when I want them too. When they get bigger I will keep them out all the time. Let them eat thaypt grass and get good a and fat.
As long as they stay in the pasture, I guess it will be ok.

Rammy

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Great advice! In Tennessee, I do believe they hold you responsible if your livestock gets out and causes damage. Years ago, my Mom had a run in with a cow going to work, and the owner paid for the repairs on her car. Cant say the same for the cow.
The hard part around here, is finding 'the owner' of the cow. You'd be surprised how often an animal gets out, and suddenly no one on this Earth seems to own it, even tho the day before it was seen inside someone's pasture.

"Nope, that ain't my cow...never seen it before in my life..all mine are in, I just counted 'em a few minutes ago..all 23 accounted for...I had 24 but sold one to a feller just yesterday..."

It's been a long time since I've used or even seen 17ga, and no longer use anything smaller than 12.5ga.
As I've said before, I want my wire to hold animals even if the charger isn't working.
Right now, I've pulled down most of my hot wire and probably won't put any back up but I'm using 5 strands of 12.5ga HT barbed wire and am in the process of adding 3 additional strands of 12.5ga barbless HT between each of the 3 bottom strands of barbed. This, to keep young calves in. They'll lay down on one side of a regular 5 strand fence and liable to just wake up on the other side, accidentally rolling under the bottom strand.
But, all the lower 4 strands have got to be fiddle string tight..pull it till you're scared of it...then it's tight.

Last edited:

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
Im sure that has happened around here, too. Im considering calling my insurance dude to see about coverage if that happens with me. Not sure homeowners covers it, but if its my responsibility, then I will be honest and take care of it. Too many people in this world dont want to stand up and be honest and take care of thier business anymore. Makes me sad.

Rammy

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
How did you reinforce your fence? I initially only had three strands up but added two more and tried to evenly space them so they are about 6-8 inches apart. So far they havent tried to escape again, but I wouldnt put it past them. Im glad you had a good outcome with yours also that they didnt wander too far. The one that did escape that we got back a week later took quite<sp> the trip around the neighboring pastures. She is since locked up at my neighbors barn until we can get her calmed down some. Im just hoping as headstrong as she is she doesnt try another jail break. :)

Rammy

We initially had 2 strands (first mistake), then we added a third and that didn't stop her. So finally we put up some woven field fence and kept her in.

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
They'll lay down on one side of a regular 5 strand fence and liable to just wake up on the other side, accidentally rolling under the bottom strand.

I think that was how mine got out, she must have been laying next to the fence and accidentally rolled under the bottom stand and got out. But we don't have to worry about that anymore, the fence is fixed and she's now too big to fit under.

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
We initially had 2 strands (first mistake), then we added a third and that didn't stop her. So finally we put up some woven field fence and kept her in.

I have five strands up now of hotwire. So far, they have not tried to get out. If they stay put, I wont do any more. If they do, time for the woven wire.

Rammy

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
Only since end of February. Ive got them calmed down so they kinda come when I call, but they still wont let me touch them unless I use this 2 x 2 stick first, then I can get in close and scratch on them a little. Thats when they are feeding in the stall. I moved the feeder outside since we moved them to an outside pen, and they just run from me when I get too close. Im about to give up trying to tame them down. Maybe Im not cut out for cows.

Rammy