Coyote pack atack

woodsie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow-bellied_marmot

These are what we have around here...marmots are the ground squirrel family ..groundhogs and land squirrels are in the "marmot family". We get some really big ones around here that love to sun themselves on concrete and large rocks and it is tempting to throw them in a stew pot and get something back for all the nuissance they cause. We have holes / burrows under almost every structure we have on the farm, except where my LGDs are...my Pyrs think they are pretty tasty!

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow-bellied_marmot

These are what we have around here...marmots are the ground squirrel family ..groundhogs and land squirrels are in the "marmot family". We get some really big ones around here that love to sun themselves on concrete and large rocks and it is tempting to throw them in a stew pot and get something back for all the nuissance they cause. We have holes / burrows under almost every structure we have on the farm, except where my LGDs are...my Pyrs think they are pretty tasty!
I bet they have similar taste.

bcnewe2

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Chiming in late cause I work to much and have been out of town for months.

I raise and train Border collies to work livestock. If you get a "bad" or doG forbid an AKC bred border collie that has no stock interest you might get away with a mix of LGD and BC but for my money I keep my breeds bred for what they are meant to do.

LGD's guard, BC's herd. Why in the world would you want to mix that???

I lived in Colorado, we had black bear, cougar and coyotes galore. 2 Akbash were enough to keep my few sheep safe. They didn't kill things they warned them off. If they killed them I never saw the evidence but I did see bear and cougars in neighboring fields. So I know they were doing the job.
I lived in AR with a bigger flock of sheep. Guard Llamas weren't near enough to keep my sheep safe. 1 Pyr and 1 Pyr mixed with Akbash did the trick. My Llama kept his sheep rounded up while the LGD's dispensed of the threat. I saw them chase off Huge coyotes, Pitt bulls and Ferrel hogs. My border collies would bark and head for the porch and let the LGD's take care of the issues. Before I got the lgd's I had the llama, he drove himself crazy not being able to protect his sheep. But once I had the dogs he did a great job of keeping his sheep together.

Here I have foxes, and a few coyotes. Haven't lost a thing since I got my Anatolian. I don't need 2 as my predator issue is slim but if I did I wouldn't hesitate to get another Toli. By far I have liked this breed the best. But that is because she fits what I need now. She has taken the most effort teaching her to not bother my chickens or hassle my lambs but I think that's due to her not having a partner and her youth. Still wouldn't be without her. Worth every bit of hassle I've had.

I really think a pair or a couple pair of any decent LGD's bred to do their job would work for a pack of coyotes. But the more the merrier would be my motto if I needed them.

Mixing herding breeds with guarding breeds....WTH would one be thinking...might work for an individual dog or a mistake breeding but why oh why would one mix the 2 on purpose is way beyond my imagination. The chance for issues is bigger than I'd ever want to risk.

Poor Percy died doing his job. At least is was an honorable death. I hope your neighbor finds a solution quickly. SSS is always my motto

heathen

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well SarahLee is an accident dog. She is 1/4 border collie 1/4 Australian Shepard. She does an awesome job now at 2 years old. I think with any mix breed you are taking a chance even mixing breeds of LGD together. Yes she had LOTS of issues but now she knows her place and her job. She kills coons opossoms and the only thing she heards is frogs/toads. The day I was ready to get rid of her after she chased one of the goats so bad it collapse she ran to the chicken house and chased off a bobcat. I have honestly had as much if not more trouble out of my GP female than I did the mix. Well after someone else informed me of the law and referenced it here I told him. The warden claims he just ment we couldn't shot at night with lights.......... ANYWAY 4 of the coyotes have been taken care of. His uncle set some traps and though it is a little early I think it is justified. Thanks all for your advise and the Groundhog info. I am excited to try one now. Heath
558085_10202547990203567_562484733_n[1].jpg 1461058_10202539238144771_874771872_n[1].jpg

heathen

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
yes good looking pup and dog he was a single birth, the biggest pure gp I have personally seen.

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well SarahLee is an accident dog. She is 1/4 border collie 1/4 Australian Shepard. She does an awesome job now at 2 years old. I think with any mix breed you are taking a chance even mixing breeds of LGD together. Yes she had LOTS of issues but now she knows her place and her job. She kills coons opossoms and the only thing she heards is frogs/toads. The day I was ready to get rid of her after she chased one of the goats so bad it collapse she ran to the chicken house and chased off a bobcat. I have honestly had as much if not more trouble out of my GP female than I did the mix. Well after someone else informed me of the law and referenced it here I told him. The warden claims he just ment we couldn't shot at night with lights.......... ANYWAY 4 of the coyotes have been taken care of. His uncle set some traps and though it is a little early I think it is justified. Thanks all for your advise and the Groundhog info. I am excited to try one now. Heath
View attachment 513 View attachment 514

I guess the poor pup was a bit confused being 1/4 Aussie (more of a heeler type dog) and 1/4 Border Collie (straight up herding dog) and half Pry. I guess he felt a bit "bipolar" torn between all these instincts. "Do I chase these critters or do I protect them"? "Do I nip at their heels or do I just lay in wait and kill these other animals chasing my herd?" He is a beautiful pup though. Heck, even pure LGD's have their issues. I had one to kill chickens and play too rough with baby goats to the point of accidentally killing them. I sold him as a pet and he worked just fine as the only pet.
:idunno

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Chiming in late cause I work to much and have been out of town for months.

I raise and train Border collies to work livestock. If you get a "bad" or doG forbid an AKC bred border collie that has no stock interest you might get away with a mix of LGD and BC but for my money I keep my breeds bred for what they are meant to do.

LGD's guard, BC's herd. Why in the world would you want to mix that???

Mixing herding breeds with guarding breeds....WTH would one be thinking...might work for an individual dog or a mistake breeding but why oh why would one mix the 2 on purpose is way beyond my imagination. The chance for issues is bigger than I'd ever want to risk.

I don't know if Mikey, my GP x Border Collie mix was an accidental breeding, if it was an AKC Border Collie in the mix, or if like you say the breeders were out of their minds.

Just know he has been a blessing for my family and my goats.

He's gentle and submissive to the goats. He guards them closely. I sleep well at night when I hear him barking out back.

I obviously do not have your level of self proclaimed expertise. I guess I'm just lucky.

But, I'm also not going to let someone bash my dog without standing up for him. :somad

Last edited:

Noahs Ark

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Hello I just joint in yesterday so I am really new to this type of forum. First I am really sorry for you lost and I will like to tell you that my son lives in Colorado and the cattle ranges there use Anatolians! but for what you said I will have a minimal of 3 so they can have a change to win some of those battles, and I will also put them some time of collar protection like the ones the romans used to use. I am an animal lover but somebody should be killing some coyotes and let then know that is you land and you are the top predator there!