Coyote pack atack

Andrei

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Bigger dogs and working breeds can keep them out.
Irish wolfhound, sheep dogs and always in pairs at least.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well the issue with that is the KY Game wardens. There are certain seasons for them in our county because there are not enough....... When he called the game warden and told him the issues and the game warden told him its a good thing he didn't shoot the coyote because he would have ben fined. Sometime the most obvious things to us seem ridiculous to our government. Even a dog in this area has to bite the same person 3 times before the law can do anything but it can bite multiple people two times its fine...... The season on coyotes is comeing up soon but Shooting them is still illegal even if they are a threat to your stock in the state of KY.

I have never heard of any place you could not defend your livestock.
And I have never heard of a county where there were "not enough" coyotes.
I didn't even think they were native there, but I guess I'm wrong about that.
In NC, you can kill 6 days a week, all year long because they are not native. They are considered and "invasive" species. Heck, you can even use spotlights and shoot at night on private land.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
So sorry for your loss. The job of a herd LGD was explained to me exactly the way Southern posted...and the team of Great Pyrs I met were awesome dogs!!! The range of land for them was kept in mind as to not ask them to do something more than they were able to handle. These dogs are amazing to me!

This man told us that when a coyote is killed by them, they drag them to the gate...is that the normal for LGD's?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bigger dogs and working breeds can keep them out.
Irish wolfhound, sheep dogs and always in pairs at least.

Irish Wolfhounds are hounds, sheep dogs are herders... neither are Livestock Guardians.
There is a reason there are only a handful of breeds able to do the job of livestock guardian.
Livestock Guardians are much more than big dogs that scare predators away.

Those that have and own livestock know this very well that is why we have LGD breeds. ;)

treeclimber233

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would definitely talk to another game warden. I find it hard to believe you are not able to protect your livestock and pets. Then there is always the SSS method (shoot, shovel and shut up). Two years is a long time for his livestock to be unprotected. Hmm... Brings to mind something my Animal Control Officer told me once. I can not shoot my neighbors dog for coming onto my property unless it threatens me (growling, snarling, barking) even tho I called them because these same dogs previously came and grabbed my tiny poodle right in front of me. Maybe try telling them the coyotes are threatening you

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
First off, I'm very sorry the OP lost their animal, that is truly sad. Coyotes are a serious threat to any livestock.
But, I have to say, I wonder about some things I read regarding LGD's and I hope you understand why.

I read a thread on here once from someone considering purchasing a Great Pyrennes x Border Collie. Oh, no you cant do that!!! That is a horrible combination!! Border Collies are herders they will chase your goats around!!

I then looked out my window at Mikey my GP X Border Collie just laying there watching the herd.

And then I met some people from the mountains who have a working dairy, they milk 100 goats per day. I figure if they milk 100 goats per day they must have 200-250 goats on their farm any given day. Guess what they have? Border Collies and nothing but Border Collies. Yes, the dogs herd the goats to the milking parlor every morning. But, I'm thinking they provide some degree of protection?

I'm sorry, but when I read "facts" in complete disagreement with what I have personal knowledge off, I question everything else that follows.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
That doesn't mean some dogs won't be ok around the livestock but the reality is they cannot take down a large predator. As sweet as Mikey is and as great as he is with your goats, no offense, because he is a sweetie... he cannot take on a coyote he is no taller or bigger than your feed bins. There is a reason why these dogs are massive and are still used all over the world as guardians. They must have power, strength and endurance.
When crossing herding dogs with Guardian breeds you will run the risk of having an inadequate guardian. Period. Herding dogs are high prey drive, small, are not submissive to the herd or flock, and have a complete different purpose. Livestock Guardian Breeds are LOW prey drive, first loyal and COMPLETELY submissive to their charges.
My GSD has heart and will go after any predator that comes on the property but she cannot overpower a pack of coyotes. She will easily take a fox or any smaller predator. We are in coyote country here where they are bold and will grab small animals off your porch. Any barking dog can deter, it is when the barking does not deter and the animal is hungry and bold enough to come on through anyway...
Having many years experience with all breeds of dogs there is a reason why breeds are very specific. If I want a hunting dog I don't need a pyr or anatolian or maremma etc. Having always had high end personal protection dogs I can assure you they are NOT the same as LGD's.
On the mountainside throughout Europe you will still see the true livestock guardian dogs with their flocks... no fences... huge ground to cover, they move with their charges.
They think differently and they are different. Those that have LGD's know how these dogs work. They are not easily tricked or fooled. While one targets in the other team members instinctively start running for patrol... coyotes as well as wolves will send in a bait "dog". Sound LGD's are fully aware of this. Depending on the #'s in the team each LGD will do their part.
For those that have seen LGD's in action they are distinctly different in how they take on a predator. Mostly they will come up over the top and crush the spine. That takes shear power, size and large jaws.

Yes, everybody has a story of how their non-lgd breed is a great "guardian"... I get it... the bottom line is there is a reason these breeds have been around and been doing THIS job for centuries.