Craigslist ppl-Grrrr. fencing question

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would get the Sheep and goat panels, you might have to order them online at TSC and pick up at your local store. They have 4” holes, cow panels have 6” holes and a Nigerian Dwarf kid can walk through them.

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If you are mostly all mature hardwood trees, even having 2 NG's might prove to be more expensive than the value of their milk and/or brush clearing. It sounds like the fence panels would still be the best way to go, versatile, moveable, and not alot of infrastructure expense. This way, if they aren't what you wanted or just not a "fit" you can get rid of them and the panels etc., pretty easily. I honestly do not see a couple of small NG's jumping over a 4+ ft fence, unless they are starving or extremely scared and panic.
Now keep in mind. This is not like a state park full of mature hardwoods, all picturesque and imptessive. This is rugged, S.E. US forest. There's several "edges" where sunlight gets in, and those areas are solid with bushes, brush, weeds, and vines. I don't know if you're familiar with kudzu (and here in SC we always spit after saying that word, to get the taste out of our mouth) but one corner of the place is overrun with it. And on a warm summer day, you can actually SEE it grow if you have a few minutes to spare. Of course, this is one with NO experience speaking, but if I had a dependable and reasonably portable fencing system, I don't think two dwarfs could ever CATCH UP with the brush.
Yes. I think my mind is made up. I'll go with the 8' X 50" panels. I already have a 12' X 12' dog kennel, covered, for nighttime protection. A quick mini-barn for weather protection and I'm ready to go there. Still lots more I will need to do but like I said. This is a late spring/early summer goal. Plenty of time for thinking and prep.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I may be a transplanted Yankee, and not ashamed of my roots....... BUT ..... we have Kudzu here in Va too. Yep, if you stand still, it will grow over top of you. I get the idea of the goat/sheep panels working better for the NG's. Sounds like you have a good plan for them and as you said, you can think it out for a bit yet anyway.

Coolbreeze89

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My Nigerian dwarf goats have never tried to jump the 4 ft fencing. I 100% agree that they need to have serious motivation (hunger/mating/fear) to even think about it. I do have one part of my 4ft fence that has an old huge log right in front of it. The goats could have easily jumped from the log over the fence. Rather than move the log (HEAVY AND BIG!), we ran some 3ft rolled fencing along the top of the existing fence: overlapped a foot and ziptied it together, resulted in 2 ft higher ‘fence” in that small section. It has worked well in that small area, and something to consider if you have any “jumping assist” obstacles that you fence in.

I think your panels will serve you and your goats well.

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My Nigerian dwarf goats have never tried to jump the 4 ft fencing. I 100% agree that they need to have serious motivation (hunger/mating/fear) to even think about it. I do have one part of my 4ft fence that has an old huge log right in front of it. The goats could have easily jumped from the log over the fence. Rather than move the log (HEAVY AND BIG!), we ran some 3ft rolled fencing along the top of the existing fence: overlapped a foot and ziptied it together, resulted in 2 ft higher ‘fence” in that small section. It has worked well in that small area, and something to consider if you have any “jumping assist” obstacles that you fence in.

I think your panels will serve you and your goats well.
You have no idea how much I appreciate hearing this. Of course I have zero experience with goats. I have used MANY hours researching online and it's all HORROR STORIES. It's almost like if El Chappo had a goat with him in SuperMax, he'd have no problem escaping. I guess the horror stories sell better. Oh, I appreciate hearing what I MAY be up against instead of learning the bad the hard way. But its reassuring to hear first-person that it's not ALWAYS a nightmare. Thanks.

MyFather'sSheep

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I haven't read everyone elsed post, but DH took down a chain link fence and we use that for out goats, sheep, and cow (not all mixed together). You actually do not want to use a tractor to pull the posts if it is old, or the metal could bend. He dug down until he hit the concrete, then used a hose with a high powered nosel to bladt the dirt from around the concrete enough for him to be able to rock the post back and forth and lift it out.

Coolbreeze89

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You have no idea how much I appreciate hearing this. Of course I have zero experience with goats. I have used MANY hours researching online and it's all HORROR STORIES. It's almost like if El Chappo had a goat with him in SuperMax, he'd have no problem escaping. I guess the horror stories sell better. Oh, I appreciate hearing what I MAY be up against instead of learning the bad the hard way. But its reassuring to hear first-person that it's not ALWAYS a nightmare. Thanks.

As someone who scouts BYH and other forums, I’ve been sucked in by the horror stories too many times! I try to take everything with a grain (boulder) of salt, and look for “general trends” (ie goats can be quite adept at escape) vs specific extremes (every goat will scale a 30ft fence...). I’m doing a little better (getting some of my own experience sure helps!).
I’m a former-suburb-dweller who now has happily retired to a hobby farm of goats, chickens, and pigs. Reading your posts always feels very familiar to my learning experiences. :cool: We’ll catch up with all the experienced folks eventually! Ha!

Last edited:

FestiveOne

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I got the no climb horse fence from TSC. But got the 6ft stuff. And also ran two strands of hot wire. One at the top of the posts, and one around 2ft off the ground. Everyone respects the fence. :) My back yard is like a fortress. I built it to be because I didnt want anything to happen to my babies after a neighbors dog was killed while in it's yard last summer.

Spokeless Wheel

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
If you are mostly all mature hardwood trees, even having 2 NG's might prove to be more expensive than the value of their milk and/or brush clearing. It sounds like the fence panels would still be the best way to go, versatile, moveable, and not alot of infrastructure expense. This way, if they aren't what you wanted or just not a "fit" you can get rid of them and the panels etc., pretty easily. I honestly do not see a couple of small NG's jumping over a 4+ ft fence, unless they are starving or extremely scared and panic.
I only have Nigerian Dwarf goats and yes they can jump a 6 foot fence without a problem. Most of mine are good but I have one momma that is is a jumper and she has taught this little trick to her daughters. They walk up to the fence then back straight back and you can see it in their face they are caculating the jump. Then they go for it. She also uses corners to get out. She runs on an angle toward the corner then bounces off the other corner section and over she goes. Like farmerjan's cow; Special doesn't go anywhere she just likes to be free. The rest stay in the TSC cattle and goat panels without a problem. They are easy to move and work very well if you don't have a fence jumper. As farmerjan said a strand of electric on the top and inside to teach fence respect would probably work. I just never needed to make my fence that secure. I live in the middle of nowhere so if anyone gets out it really doesn't matter. Good Luck

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had dairy goats and Boers. Lots of them. They would get out if a gate was unlocked (1 or 2 could open latches) but they did not jump much. Hard on those big udders. It sounds as if the escape artists and jumpers are the minis and pet goats. Our large standard Nubians and LaMamchas stayed put. Our fences then were poor and only about 42”-60” high. I think it depends on the goats.
Why don’t you look into some meat sheep instead. Breeds like Dorpers browse as well as goats. Taste good too.

Latest posts