Creamy Milk — Mastitis?

abraeri

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So we recently bought two Nubian Does - first fresheners that kidded in beginning February (we bought them in March). After the initial stress of moving one consistently provided around 3 lbs... peaking somewhere at 3.5. The other one was more consistent at 2.2... peaking at 2.8 or something.

The second one had some issues early with what we assumed was mastitis - no clumps but hard to filter. We did some massages with peppermint, tea tree, and coconut oil plus 3 milkings a day and it solved itself pretty quick.

We noticed again a few weeks ago the milk was getting hard to filter - we never stopped massaging but started milking her twice again a week ago or so. Both of their milk productions have been going down.

Now I'm wondering whether it actually is mastitis... there are no clumps, no swelling, no redness, just hard to filter (we use coffee filters). I should also mention that we have noticed since we got her that her one udder is smaller than the other - when doing the CMT it shows that the smaller udder has mastitis.

Also... when goats naturally dry up, does their milk get creamier?

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
You are correct. As they get later in lactation and their milk volume decreases, the fat percentage typically increases.
I think some of our nigerians were at 12 percent towards the end.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Now I'm wondering whether it actually is mastitis... there are no clumps, no swelling, no redness, just hard to filter (we use coffee filters). I should also mention that we have noticed since we got her that her one udder is smaller than the other - when doing the CMT it shows that the smaller udder has mastitis.
This is very concerning.
Yes, BF can increase at the end of lactation but if you are getting a positive on the CMT you need to have the milk cultured and figure out what’s going on.

I would keep milking her until you get the culture results back. She may need to be infused with Tomorrow or some other dry off infusion. Also, depending on the bacteria you don’t want to just leave it sit in the udder, you could deal with a real train wreck when she freshens next year.
Because we are on milktest we get the SCC every month. One doe was higher than the other does so we had her milk checked. The CMT didn’t pick anything up. This doe didn’t have anything concerning when we cultured the milk, but I wouldn’t ever hesitate to test anyone I think could be an issue. The uneven udder is not good and is often associated with does that had/have mastitis. I would want to get her checked before any damage is done.

abraeri

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
This is very concerning.
Yes, BF can increase at the end of lactation but if you are getting a positive on the CMT you need to have the milk cultured and figure out what’s going on.

I would keep milking her until you get the culture results back. She may need to be infused with Tomorrow or some other dry off infusion. Also, depending on the bacteria you don’t want to just leave it sit in the udder, you could deal with a real train wreck when she freshens next year.
Because we are on milktest we get the SCC every month. One doe was higher than the other does so we had her milk checked. The CMT didn’t pick anything up. This doe didn’t have anything concerning when we cultured the milk, but I wouldn’t ever hesitate to test anyone I think could be an issue. The uneven udder is not good and is often associated with does that had/have mastitis. I would want to get her checked before any damage is done.

Thank you for this. I need to do a CMT again soon; definitely do not want problems when we freshen next year. How do you culture the milk? Is it something you can send in yourself?

abraeri

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You are correct. As they get later in lactation and their milk volume decreases, the fat percentage typically increases.

Considering that there are no lumps and she is a first freshener, would you think this would be the cause? The no lumps is what stumps me because with the way it doesn't filter and her production is going down I would think there was something severe.

And also creamy milk shouldn't cause a positive response on the CMT right?

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Considering that there are no lumps and she is a first freshener, would you think this would be the cause? The no lumps is what stumps me because with the way it doesn't filter and her production is going down I would think there was something severe.

And also creamy milk shouldn't cause a positive response on the CMT right?

I agree with @Goat Whisperer that the positive CMT is concerning. I didn't catch that part when I read your post the first time. Yes, as milk volume decreases fat typically increases as a percentage, so the milk is creamier. But, that wouldn't give a positive test for mastitis.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you for this. I need to do a CMT again soon; definitely do not want problems when we freshen next year. How do you culture the milk? Is it something you can send in yourself?
You probably can but it is good to work with a vet. See what lab s/he recommends. Some labs will send you a small cooler and sterile tubes for the milk with shipping instructions. Chances are though, she will need to be treated with something since she is getting uneven and already has a + on the CMT.

What lab do you guys use? We use dairy one, I thought the highest they could measure was 9.9 or 10% or else you have to send it to a different lab. Memory is fuzzy on that tough.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
You probably can but it is good to work with a vet. See what lab s/he recommends. Some labs will send you a small cooler and sterile tubes for the milk with shipping instructions. Chances are though, she will need to be treated with something since she is getting uneven and already has a + on the CMT.

What lab do you guys use? We use dairy one, I thought the highest they could measure was 9.9 or 10% or else you have to send it to a different lab. Memory is fuzzy on that tough.

Dairy One. It may have been 10%. I know it was high.