crickets or blister beetles?

Stephine

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Just found these in my newly opened alfalfa bale. Are these blister beetles? or just crickets? Would you still feed this to sheep? There’s one to three bugs per flake it seems…

Attachments

• CD6D3623-D862-4456-83B6-8ECBB061CFB9.jpeg
    CD6D3623-D862-4456-83B6-8ECBB061CFB9.jpeg
    587 KB · Views: 116

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I occasionally find dried grasshoppers in my alfalfa bales. My goats apparently don't have any issues/problems/complaints about the alfalfa as the only sounds heard are chomping and chewing.

Are your bugs still squishy or are they dried out? I don't think my goats would care for squishy bugs... I know I wouldn't.

Stephine

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I occasionally find dried grasshoppers in my alfalfa bales. My goats apparently don't have any issues/problems/complaints about the alfalfa as the only sounds heard are chomping and chewing.

Are your bugs still squishy or are they dried out? I don't think my goats would care for squishy bugs... I know I wouldn't.
I think they are pretty dry since they are loosing limbs, but I haven’t touched them to test… So they look like crickets to you, not the dreaded blister beetles?

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't know what a blister beetle is... guess I've never run across one.

OK just read up on those bugs and then looked again at your picture. I'd go with you have crickets in the alfalfa.

Bravo for the concern! You are a good sheep mom. From now on I will look closer at the dead bugs in my alfalfa.

Stephine

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you! Yes, one more thing you didn’t know you had to worry about… 😁
I checked with a horse person and the feed store and they thought it was crickets, too. I think those long folded hind legs is how one can tell. Sheep ate more of it and seem just fine. (added wrinkle: crickets seem to attract blister beetles, so I‘ll keep an eye open). Thanks for your help!

Stephine

True BYH Addict
Reaction score

Latest posts