Crossing State Lines

elbesta

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
When moving animals over state lines who generally pays for the vet certificate, the buyer or seller. Is there anything else I need to know? This is for moving pigs but could be applicable to other herd animals.

Also was not sure where to post this.

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We had a load of goats shipped from Texas to Our farm in Tennessee and the seller paid for the vet. certificates. I guess it depends on how bad an individual wants to sell their livestock. We usually figure it in to the price of our livestock. I personally have never paid for any vet. certs. on any livestock I've bought out of state. I think it may or may not be rude to ask a buyer to pay for this. Like I said, we usually just get the vet. Paperwork done and inspection completed and it is a non-issue unless the buyer tries to go too low on the agreed price, then we mention the cost of the vet. paperwork and do an abbreviated itemization of why we can't go lower on our price for our livestock.
:)

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
OK, here is a dumb question. I live in NC and Im getting goats from Va and TN. Do I need certificates and why?
YES ! U.S.D.A. ... Proof of Health and proof of ownership rules and regulations for transporting animals across State lines . This is designed to prevent and /or contain/ eliminate / quarantine disease outbreaks There are also rules for health certificates for transporting one's animals away from your own property to shows, fairs, etc. especially in disease outbreak times. :old

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
We charge the buyer for the most part. Our animals are priced very reasonable and vet certificates are anywhere from $45-$65 and I need to pay a farm call visit. The certificate is only good for so many days. If I were selling 10 goats to the same place I would probably work something out as I will get a discount from the vet but 1-2 -3 animals. No. Animals $800 and up yes, I will pay the fee.

SueD

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
YES ! U.S.D.A. ... Proof of Health and proof of ownership rules and regulations for transporting animals across State lines . This is designed to prevent and /or contain/ eliminate / quarantine disease outbreaks There are also rules for health certificates for transporting one's animals away from your own property to shows, fairs, etc. especially in disease outbreak times. :old
So who am I supposed to show these to? Or am I supposed to show them to anyone? I dont understand.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
So who am I supposed to show these to? Or am I supposed to show them to anyone? I dont understand.
If you are stopped by an agent of the government potentially the highway patrol though I doubt they would care or really think to ask
Or maybe DOT or Dept of Ag though they are not out patrolling
In theory you are supposed to have a health certificate In practice.....
I've transported animals to GA and brought 2 back
I've had animals transported from OH and sent 3 back
I've sold animals that went to SC, VA, TN and FL
All without

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
My comment above, I am not advising you as to what you should do
I was just answering who you would potentially be showing these health certificates to
I have Nigerian Dwarfs
All of these were transported in dog carriers most of which were inside of vans
If you went across a state line pulling a livestock trailer it could potentially prompt a stop
Most likely the DOT people than run the weigh stations for big trucks they are the ones who monitor what is being transported in the state :thumbsup