cutting stall mats

robren

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi folks
Barn is almost complete. I'd like to hear the ways you have found best to cut stall mats to size. The mats are 4x6 and 3/4 inch thick. Thanks for your suggestions

MDres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I've used a SawZall - works fine, but you do get A LOT of vibration that tires your hands out. Carpet knives are only good for cutting out tiny areas/notches to fit around oblects.

My farrier swears by a plain old circular saw. He laughed at me when he found out I was cutting all my mats with the SawZall. I haven't ever tried the circular saw, so I can't say how it works, but apparently my farrier thinks it is the bomb.

robren

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi MDres

Thanks for the reply. I have heard of all 3 suggestions. I think I'll try the skill saw with a new blade. Now the type of blade.....

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am pretty sure you are supposed to use the circular saw with the blade
in backwards. Sounds silly, but works.

Let the saw cut, don't push hard as you move along the line. Pushing can
burn out the saw by working it too hard.

You move the mats with vise grips, c-clamps, gripped to
one side for lifting and hauling. Mats are really hard to manage with just
your finger-tip hold on them.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
One needs to use a plywood blade ! Another use for this blade is ... when one wants to cut metal roofing, use the plywood blade installed backwards in the circular saw. :old

CritterZone

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Definitely the Skill Saw. We just put the mats down our breezeway and had to cut all of them. We used a skill saw with a new wood blade and it was quick and easy.