Dealing with the cold?

MoreAU

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
ItsColdOutside-Horse.jpg

Madhouse Pullet

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I kind of feel sorry for people that don't know where their food comes from. If they ever had to wake up and do it themselves there's so many small things like this that stack against them.
:lol: I'm one of those people, and I agree! Despite my dreams of living in the country and living off the land, that is the exact reason my DH looks at me says "suuuuuure whatever you want" 🙄 city girl in California where it never snows and I'm shivering in my boots in 35° weather :lol:
But, I really enjoyed reading this thread - learned something to put in my back pocket for if my dream ever comes true.

River Buffaloes

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Currently in New Delhi, India, originally Bihar
I think people underestimate animals' ability to acclimate and adapt. Fresh, deep bedding and some buddies to snuggle up to keep the critters happy and warm all winter long. All 6 months of snow on the ground :p Even the guinea pigs do okay in the negative temps in outdoor colonies.

That's so true!!! I never imagined that there are people keeping Water Buffaloes in Canada, Sweden, Norway and Minnesota until I saw their videos.

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:lol: I'm one of those people, and I agree! Despite my dreams of living in the country and living off the land, that is the exact reason my DH looks at me says "suuuuuure whatever you want" 🙄 city girl in California where it never snows and I'm shivering in my boots in 35° weather :lol:
But, I really enjoyed reading this thread - learned something to put in my back pocket for if my dream ever comes true.

Well I hear ya. Days like today it was so cold I didn't want to do any backyard stuff.

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I’m also in Utah, and while I’ve never lost my fingers due to cold I did lose my wedding ring about 5 years ago after breaking the ice up and pulling the big pieces out of the trough. Darn thing slipped off into the snow and I didn’t even realize because I couldn’t feel anything. Figured it would turn up in spring but it was never seen again. When I had ducks I loved the rubber feed pans, they freeze up and you just turn em upside down, stomp on it to knock the ice loose, and refill. Trough heaters are great if you have power out to them. I saw plans once upon a time for a DIY solar de-icer trough. The theory was sound I just didn’t have any extra cash at the time to build it but now that I’m thinking about it again I’m sure you could find it on Pinterest.
One suggestion for cold hands would be to buy some neoprene gloves. I had a pair for duck hunting and they are incredible. I remember one particularly cold day at Farmington Bay I got excited after shooting a red head and as I went to collect my duck I tripped in the ice and my arm went through the ice up to my elbow. My hunting jacket was frozen from wrist to elbow in minutes but I had lukewarm water in my glove for the remainder of the day, and that was several hours.
Good luck staying warm.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Here it used to get cold in November. As a kid I remember bundling up at Halloween. Now it's December before we get frost. High Desert Cowboy has the right idea with the neoprene gloves, if only I could find mine. Wait till the Doctor puts you on aspirin therapy. Much below forty and my hands feel so cold they hurt. He's right about the black rubber bowls also. Nearly indestructible. I do have one rabbit in 3 days time chewed the sides completely off. I think he's part beaver. Bunnies are pretty easy. From what I can tell they drink twice a day. So I break the ice in the bowls or swap out the bottles. I keep a cheap Acu-rite temp sensor hanging by the hutches. Check it night and day, to hot or to cold I change water or add ice bottles as needed. When I raised quail it was tougher and alot colder. They would drink all day. Freeze up during the night and I would get mobbed when I brought them water in the morning and then again when I got home from work. I've had birds fly out and turn and fly back in the cage to get water. Usually bobwhites get loose and without a recall pen they became cat food. Only good thing I see about winter is no mosquitos. I found out they like the smell of people who have type O blood and eat a lot of bananas. I don't care what anybody says the DelMarVa peninsula is mosquito central.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm with you @Grizzlyhackle on the used to get cold in Nov. When hunting, the guys could hang a deer outside in the colder temps to age a bit. This year has been the "coolest" in the past several years. Of course, not as much fun when trying to move......:thtrying to keep the heat in instead of not worrying about the doors being open.... Wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't as wet; still can't complain, not dealing with 0 or 12 inches of snow!!!! I agree with the no mosquitos....