Deaths in the goat herd

tcp2133

Herd lurker
Reaction score
My wife and I recently lost two of our three goats to bear attacks. The bear broke the back barn doors month ago and killed the first goat. Last night it happened again despite my efforts to fortify the door. Dept of agriculture in my county has been notified and dropped off a bear trap on my property. I sealed up the back door from the inside and out and re-fortified the front barn door as well. Our remaining goat was the boss if you will of the other two. She has horns, they did not and and definitely was in charge. Do they grieve? Assuming there are no more attacks in the future how long should we wait to acquire new goats for her companionship? Thank you for all positive and well mannered responses.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
First, I'm sorry for your loss. Bear are determined AND strong!!! As you know!

Yes, animals grieve. Bring in companions asap. Preferably two who are used to each other as she will "put them in their place" until everyone gets in line. 😔. Being the outsiders, it's best they are friends and she will accept both at some point.

Hoping the bear gets caught and relocated...right away!😳☹️

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hope the bear gets caught but relocating would not be my choice. Once they start killing, there is no stopping them. Needs to be caught and disposed of.
Sorry for the loss of the goats. Since they were contained, do you have any recourse for reimbursement from the dept of ag? What state are you in? There is recourse here in Va...have farmers that have had the bears get into the silage piles and tear apart corn fields... we can get permits to hunt out of season also.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If the bear is still at large, it will return.

I think you need a super hot electric wire running around the barn.

As soon as you have super hot electric running all around the barn, to keep him out.... then get 1 or 2 companions for your single.

As to what kind of goats... disease free is nice! Test for CAE, Johnes, and CL. If possible have them wormed right before getting them.