Dehydrator

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, we have a good vacuum sealer.

So it sounds like this whole dehydrating process isn't as mysterious as the manufacturer's manual implies.

Thanks to all who have read/responded. You all are very helpful.

Won't promise that this is the last question, so... can you over-dry?

The manual makes a big deal about not over-drying but doesn't give any guidelines, other than fruit 8 - 12 hours. I presume the shorter time is for less quantity and the longer time is for a fully loaded multi-tray array... or am I overthinking the whole thing?

I know what dried fruit looks and feels like: pliable, not crunchy. What happens when you go beyond to the crunch stage? The manual has me thinking that the fruit is ruined. What's wrong with crunchy apple slices... snack food, right?

BYHers are the best resource one can have!

I dont think over-drying is a real concern...i have left celery in it for 20hrs and no issue, carrots for almost 24hrs. Re-hydrates to 90% of original. I think it would be hard to overdry something, the only issue i do know of is fruit with high sugar like melon will "burn" really way over carmelize if it is on the top trays.

I have an old Nesco, four trays..NO fan. Only controls are opening the vents at top more or less. :D Hey, only $8 at Habitat, barely used and works great. SO...the thing I see no one has mentioned --maybe I am only one with this type-- but you must move tray order, to get optimum overall results. Plus, I find that some things (most) need to have the pieces moved during the drying. I actually have to remove some before all are complete. This has to do with the size of the pieces, the moisture in each piece, plus the location ON the tray. Some are just "done" sooner.

Again, much may have to do with mine being one that relies on the heat circulation by drawing air thru the bottom, over the heat coils and up thru the center holes, as well as those in trays, and out the top vents. Even with the more advanced models, no doubt there is a need to consider the size of pieces and moisture content. Ripe fruits have more sugars, moisture, etc.

I use mine for fruits, mostly but, have done some veggies. Plan to use it for more next spring as a way to preserve in a different manner than freeze & can.

I have not found a need to rotate trays or move food pieces. Mine has a strong fan and a thermostat along with the heater and fan in the top. When I expand to more trays I may have to rotate but with 5 trays I have not had a problem. I will also mention I don't subscribe to the lay it all out in a flat layer with nothing touching except fruit, potatoes and tomatoes is a flat layer but still touching. For veggies they get blanched drained and dumped on the trays still steaming, i cover the center hole with a small bowl and just pour them on the trays. The only thing I do make sure of is that the food is not touching the bottom of the tray above it, and no food is between or hanging over the double channel on the tray edges.

If i do any dehydrating over the weekend I will see if I can remember to get pictures. Atm there is more clearance coleslaw mix going while I'm at work.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have not found a need to rotate trays or move food pieces. Mine has a strong fan and a thermostat along with the heater and fan in the top.

:(:( I don't have the "new" model...so mine is strictly air in, air out, heat in between. :lol: No fan, no thermostat or even a temp gauge. That's why I need some manual assist. :D

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
:(:( I don't have the "new" model...so mine is strictly air in, air out, heat in between. :lol: No fan, no thermostat or even a temp gauge. That's why I need some manual assist. :D

Hey as long as it works, it's all good. I have a oster meat/food grinder I got for I think $4 at the second hand store. It grinds meat like a beast but omg the horrid noise it makes :lol:
upload_2019-10-28_8-11-13.png
Not sure what year it's from 50s-60s but I'm not complaining.(not my pic)

I run up to 10 trays so I do rotate so that most everything gets done around the same time since it usually gets done long after my normal bed time. :)

I can understand more trays needing to be rotated depending on what your drying. Hopefully I'm getting more trays for Christmas......

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
No it doesn’t. I paid $60 for it and 35 years later similar grinders are about the same price. Hmm.... I wonder where mine/yours was made and where they are made now?

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
No it doesn’t. I paid $60 for it and 35 years later similar grinders are about the same price. Hmm.... I wonder where mine/yours was made and where they are made now?

No longer made by Oster....I assume all other are china made. I took it apart and re-spread the grease on the gears. Dh told me the noise maker is a bearing or brushes(can't recall which) in the motor .

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I still keep mine in the original box. The price sticker is still on it, $64.95 and it was made in the USA. I ran 50 pounds of Wilbur through it tonight. I'll make stuffed sausage tomorrow, DH is going to smoke it.