Devonviolet Acres

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
In spite the weather report, we didn't get any rain overnight. :celebrate

So this morning, I went out and took some pics of our trench. My end was a nice, neat 12" wide. DH started with the trenching shovel, at the other end. His part was a bit curvatious and only the width of the wrenching shovel (about 4"). :lol:

By the time I finished my end, I was just too tuckered out to make his end wider. That will have to wait until the ground dries out a bit.
0220181037~2.jpg

Here you can see we have standing water and we haven't even had any rain yet!
0220181038~2.jpg

Here is DH's end of the trench. :lol:
0220181038a~2.jpg

While I was on my way back from taking photos, of the trench, I saw the dogs in the goat shed, and just HAD to take a photo. Aren't they sweet?
0220181040~2.jpg

The one with the tongue out is Deo. He's such a cuddle bug. :love So is Violet! :love

Last edited:

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
While I was out there, and since it wasn't raining yet, I got the pruning clippers out, so I could clean out interior branches and top off the really high branches of the apricot and peach trees. I also did some minor trimming of the Apple trees. They haven't grown nearly as fast as the apricot and peach trees.

We bought 3 year old trees and have had them for 2 years. We got a few blossoms last year, but no fruit. There seem to be more blossom buds, so I am hoping we get some fruit this year.

This is the apricot tree, after pruning:
0220181110_HDR~2.jpg

This is the peach tree, before pruning:
0220181111a_HDR~2.jpg

Here are a few of the buds on the apricot tree:
0220181152~2.jpg

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks DV for giving me a shot of the Khakis with the peach tree....:love
Y'all are ahead of us a tad bit...our buds are just appearing, but should be swelling with the warmer temps and plenty of moisture. I hope all the hard work on the trench is rewarded with success....:)

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks DV for giving me a shot of the Khakis with the peach tree....:love
You are so welcome. :)

So, while I was out there, I got another shot of the Khaki's. See if you can spot the drake. :lol: :gig He's a good lookin' boy, isn't he?
0220181146~2.jpg

In the afore mentioned photo, of the peach tree, did you notice the big blue tarp on our canvas garage?
0220181111a_HDR~2.jpg

The sun degraded the "canvas" so much, it disinegrated to the point, that in spite our best efforts to tape it together, on a recent windy day, the zippered door totally ripped out of its seams.

I want to turn the pipe framework into a greenhouse, this summer, so we can do aquaponics & raise fish in one of our water totes, and I don't want to spend any money to fix the "door". So, we got out a 9x12' tarp, that we already had, and using ropes, we wrapped & tied the tarp to the frame. On the left, we put a T-post in and used bungie cords to tie the tarp. Now We can remove the bungie cords & lift the tarp on that side, to get into the garage.

Last edited:

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nice trench work on ONE person's part!

So, while I was out there, I got another shot of the Khaki's. See if you can spot the drake. :lol: :gig He's a good lookin' boy, isn't he?
Um, don't tell me. Let's see there is only one male right? So unless one of the hens and the drake swapped feathers to confuse us, I guess the one with the green head ;) And yes he is a pretty boy!

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, the rain finally started! And it came in with a BANG! Literally! Lightening and thunder and torrential rain!

In the first ten minutes we got 0.60". Its been 40 minutes, we have 0.75", and its still pouring!

Our trench behind the chicken & goat yards will only stop part of the runopp since it is about 150 feet back from the house.

This is what our side and back yards currently look like!
0220181654.jpg

0220181615a~2.jpg

0220181615c.jpg

DH is out there now, cleaning out the smaller trenches, that we started 3 years ago, to drain the lakes we get when it rains heavily.

Here is our driveway, also under water.
0220181618.jpg

DH decided to go out at around 3:45, to feed the animals early, after looking at the weather radar. I was just about finished when, crash, bang, boom, torrential rains!

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow!!...that is coming down fast....we're suppose to start getting it around 11pm tonite. Your drake is a real pretty Boy, they all are so Sweet...I just love em. It seems ya timed your final rounds just right. That's a shame about the door on the garage...it wasn't that old was it? What kind of fish ya planning on raising?

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had a lull in the rain. So, while it was just sprinkling, I put my rain jacket on and went out to look at my trench.

DH was out there dragging the pointed how along the trench. He said it was full when he got out there. By the time I got there quite a bit of water had drained into the green space.
0220181724~2.jpg

0220181725~2.jpg

While I was out there, I stopped at the blueberries, which are in pots waiting to be planted soon. Though we need to cut some trees down, to let sun through to the area, where we want to plant all our berries. Anyway, I took a photo of the buds on one of the four the blueberry bushes.
0220181732a~2.jpg

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's a shame about the door on the garage...it wasn't that old was it? What kind of fish ya planning on raising?
No, the garage wasn't that old. Maybe 3 years? We figured it wouldn't last long. But, hoped it would last a bit longer. I've been wanting to convert it to a greenhouse and do Aquaponics for the last 2-1/2 years.

I'm not sure, yet, what kind of fish we will raise. Many people raise Talapia, but I tested "sensitive" to it, so we will have to find a different fish to raise. Maybe Blue Gill??

I think there is a fish hatchery in East Texas, so I will be doing more research when we get closer to getting the greenhouse finished.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Seems to me that the trench would have drained faster if it had been wide all the way to the end. Maybe you should have dug it like that.
:hide

Seems like you should raise whatever kind of fish you want to eat ;)