Devonviolet Acres

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Golf balls. I put those in the nests to encourage use of more than one nest -- you know, one is best, grass is greener, all that. Soon I had a couple setting. Gave eggs to one and she hatched them, now have three more trying to hatch golf balls. One BO, one RIR & one Marans I tell ya, get some balls...….:D

Another hen set a golf ball and 8 eggs contributed by other helper hens...6 of the eggs hatched. Alas, the golf ball is still there :( I'm thinking I will give this old BO gal about 10 eggs. I lost 8 hens to a neighbors dog (he pd me for hens) and now 8 either with chicks or setting...I'm down 15 eggs a day for sales. But, looking for new layers this Fall. Plus, fryers.:D =D :idunno Hope you get a broody.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Which is why I have no Buff Orpingtons!

I think I've read that guinea hens aren't the best mothers.
True! Very true! That’s why we put guinea eggs under a broody chicken. How were we to know that none of the eggs were fertile. :th :hit :th

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was watching two broodies in my barn....the big, bad snake took most of those eggs and the hens abandoned ship. I didn't even try to rescue the eggs. However, unbeknownst to me - in a totally isolated area another broody hatched out 6 chicks and has kept them all alive to this point. She is fearless and fierce and I have a wound on my leg to prove it, lol. Love a mean-a$$ broody!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was watching two broodies in my barn....the big, bad snake took most of those eggs and the hens abandoned ship. I didn't even try to rescue the eggs. However, unbeknownst to me - in a totally isolated area another broody hatched out 6 chicks and has kept them all alive to this point. She is fearless and fierce and I have a wound on my leg to prove it, lol. Love a mean-a$$ broody!
good for her! Iwonder if the snake didn't know about her nest or if it went for the easier meal.

Latest posts