Devonviolet Acres

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have AWESOME news. This afternoon, our (Nubian/La Mancha cross) April kidded twin girls prematurely. When I realized she was in labor, I got really worried, because I knew she was early. The last time we had a goat kid early, we lost her two little boys. 😭 It was so hard to go through, I didn't want to repeat this time!

As soon as I realized she was in labor, I took her to the barn and put her in a stall with fresh hay. And it was none-too-soon! Almost immediately, she laid down and started pushing. It took four or five tries, with her getting up and down, up and down, before she could push her little girl out. It turned out she was breech. But, April got her out!

While we were cleaning the first one up she pushed the second one out - head first this time!

Once I got their sack cleaned off of them, they both started moving around and making a lot of noise! They were both on their feet within 5 minutes! 😆 That made me so happy! They are both doing really well! Both have nursed, so I'm fairly certain they will make it now. 😊. Here are some cute pics
IMG_20200219_144858983.jpg
IMG_20200219_150339554.jpg

IMG_20200219_140446693.jpg

IMG_20200219_143714113.jpg

IMG_20200219_144336780.jpg

IMG_20200219_144858983.jpg

IMG_20200219_150339554.jpg

DH has already named our little girls: The one with a solid white band is "Oreo Cookie" or Oreo for short. The little girl with brown spots in her white band is "Chocolate Chip". We don't have a nick name yet. Maybe Chippy. 😊

Last edited:

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, I got her from :flypig. She was supposed to be pregnant when I got her, but alas she was not. I was so thrilled that she got pregnant last October. 😆
So happy for a successful early birth for you. How early was she ? The reason I ask is because my last kidding they were later than expected and their hoofs were white gel that had cuts that needed to be cut , they are great now after four days, but this was the first time I had jelly hoofs .

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
So happy for a successful early birth for you. How early was she ? The reason I ask is because my last kidding they were later than expected and their hoofs were white gel that had cuts that needed to be cut , they are great now after four days, but this was the first time I had jelly hoofs .
Well, since they are doing so well, as preemies, they can’t be all that early - and they do have teeth. So I’m not sure now. I put Oct. 13th, for a bred date, on the calendar. But, given how well developed they are, I’m thinking I must have gotten that wrong, and they were bred more like the last week of September. I took a close look at Rosemary today, and her udder iss bigger and I thought I saw a bit of discharge on her tail. So, she is probably close to kidding soon, as well. We have gotten the other stall, in the barn ready for Rosemary, as well. I’ll be keeping a lot closer eye on her, than I did on April, since I thought we had another three weeks, until she was due.

When our twin boys were born last year, they were term. Their hooves had a smooth gel-like pad on their hooves. These little girls don’t have fully formed hoof pads. They are smooth on their heels. The front half of the hoof has a slight depression, that is rough with a slightly ragged edge.

Last edited:

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oreo Cookie and Chocolate Chip.....who doesn't love cookies? :love they are adorable, congrats on the two beautiful babies. I am happy for you and your DH.
Thanks Bay! We are so happy the girls are fine. 🤗. We went out tonight, (in the rain) to check on them. They are all over the place. Full of vim and vinegar. 😃
IMG_20200219_212903856.jpg

Latest posts