Devonviolet's - Kidding 2017

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
The twins are doing well today!

I just got one picture this morning, before I got to the milking. Here they are, cuddled together in the corner.
tmp_10777-0413170849-2265685276.jpg

I took the kitchen scale out with me, this morning, so I could weigh the kids. We tried a couple different containers, to put them into, on the scale. We ended up using a 3 gallon bucket. They were just tall enough, that their heads came over the top rim.

We haven't settled on names yet, so here are their weights, by sex:
Doeling: 4 lb. 14 oz
Buckling: 7 lb. 4 oz

I only have one jar, for the milking machine. So, I decided to hand milk Ruby's first batch of colostrum. I knew she was full, especially on the left side, but thought the stainless steel bowl, that I took out, with me, would be big enough. Initially, the left side was so full/tight, it was hard to get the milk out. My hand was getting tired & was hurting enough, that I had to take a few breaks. But, eventually, with massaging and milking, it got soft enough, that I could get a better grip, that the colostrum just flowed. It was actually fun milking her after that. :D

I was getting enough colostrum, that I sent DH into the house, to get a 1/2 gallon canning jar, to pour the milk into. I ended up getting a little more than 1500 ml, which is just over six cups on her first milking! :celebrate The most I have gotten from Falina, so far, is 5 cups. And that was in the morning after separating Woody and Falina over night.
tmp_10777-0413170938-1428218674.jpg

Last edited:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are so adorable! That is one thing I love about goats- ya never know what color you'll get ('cept Saanens Obie's & Toggs ;) )

LOVE seeing the milk, just always makes me so happy. Weird I guess, but it does! :)

Lamancha babies are the cutest! :love:love:love ( I may be biased)

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Grats on the twins! So glad everything went without a hitch! Welcome to BYH @jackiesme :frow Good to see you here with us :D