Dewormer for Lactating Does?

newchick101

Just born
Reaction score
Hi all, what dewormer do you use for your does that you are milking? Thanks!

newchick101

Just born
Reaction score
I never worried about a bit of dewormer getting into the milk.

It is however important to make sure the the dewormer you are using will kill the worms that your goat has.
Even if the milk is for human consumption?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I use a stronger dewormer before kidding. Then herbals mostly, until dried off. But I don't have a huge parasite issue usually. Lotta pasture to rotate helps. Some dewormers have no withdrawal for milk. And, like Alaskan, never had an issue. Valbazan is not used during milking times here .... Or early pregnancy.

My girls help themselves to a lot of "weeds and vines" which helps. truly, they know what keeps them healthy, usually

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Like @Mini Horses I worm before breeding. I worm again on kidding day. If I feel the need to deworm while I'm milking (for human consumption) I use Ivermectin. Just me - but I don't do any milk withdrawal because Ivermectin is approved for use in humans anyway. Keeps me worm free too, lol. :lol:

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Like @Mini Horses I worm before breeding. I worm again on kidding day. If I feel the need to deworm while I'm milking (for human consumption) I use Ivermectin. Just me - but I don't do any milk withdrawal because Ivermectin is approved for use in humans anyway. Keeps me worm free too, lol. :lol:
Exactly my thought! Nothing wrong with me consuming a bit of dewormer... maybe I need it.

:lol:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ivermectin was originally made for humans. In Africa, River blindness due to parasites was a problem. Ivermectin was developed to kill the parasites that cause river blindness. It has been used since the 1980’s. The idiot media screaming about horse wormer for Covid made me laugh. They really should have found out the facts before becoming so hysterical about something they obviously knew nothing about.

Withdrawal is 9 days? Sounds reasonable. Manufacturers have to cover their behinds. LOL