DEWORMING TINE

palmerfeed

Just born
Reaction score
We have a total of 12 dwarf nigerians. I just administered 1.5 ml of 1% durvet ivermectin (injectable for cattle and swine) orally to the non nursing does. Should i repeat again/ how often should i worm them. Also one has hair loss around the eyes and rough bumbs on her chin, we think its mites and have been using Adam’s flea spray. We also have 2 7 week old does, how soon should i worm and vaccinate them and with what product. Last thing, does worming a nursing mom affect the milk or should I not be worried. We are located in central florida where pesticides are prone.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
You should only deworm when they are wormy. Fecal, deworm, and refecal about 10 days later.
This is especially important with wormers like ivermectin. Wormers in general don't always work and that one is notorious for being over and incorrectly used.
The kids need to be cdted two times, 3-4 weeks apart.
Almost all wormers have a withdrawal. Ivermectin has one. It's dose dependent. I'd have to Google it to remember.

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can go on the Cornell University college of Vet Science or the Georgia Small Ruminant Research and Extension center websites, and Ga is closer to you... and see the dosages and the withdrawals of the different drugs allowed...
All suggest using the Sheep oral drench, and the strength of the sheep drench is .08%... and it is considered extra label for many of the wormers.
The suggested dose of Ivermectin sheep drench at the .08% strength... is 6ml/25 lb goat.
You underdosed the goats with a stronger than advised strength...

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Also, the American Consortium for Small Ruminant Parasite Control has charts and they have been updated in 2021... This group has very definite suggestions on what to use, and the different strengths of the different products and for both sheep and goats it is stated to NOT use the injectable for cattle and swine as an oral dose.