Deworming

Lincoln's mom

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply, my post is not accurate. It should say about 15 pound's and she is not very tiny. I guess I shouldn't be in a hurry and read what I wrote!
On scale today, she is 13 pounds so I was off even at 15.
Yes I know I should get a fecal done on her but I was always taught to check eyes if pale worm. This is old school and I know I don't want to create resistance.
About the Cocci treatment with Cord again always done as a preventative measure.
Things change over the years on how to treat goats, that's why I signed up on BYH to do what's best for my goats.
Thank you again,

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I personally hate using any chemical wormer because of all the inherent dangers. We use Molly’s herbals dewormer. It works amazingly and no side effects. If your kid is eating that much food something is definitely off! Try giving her rabbit feed for a boost of copper, keep it to 1/4 cup a day. Also at that age she needs more than just hay and mineral blocks. We give sweet feed until the are six months old, they get corn all through the winter and a little in the summer for variety. Some form of grain like goat pellets, barley, oats, bread, whatever is also needed for growing goats; big goats should have some too. As long as your baby isn’t getting sick give free feed, keeping in mind goats should look fairly fat when they’re healthy.
If my adult goats get underweight I give them “fatso granola” it is about 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds, 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, 1/2-1 cup oats, 2tbs apple cider vinegar, 4-8 cups deer corn, dash of cinnamon and covered in molasses. Add some peanuts for a little extra boost too.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I personally hate using any chemical wormer because of all the inherent dangers. We use Molly’s herbals dewormer. It works amazingly and no side effects. If your kid is eating that much food something is definitely off! Try giving her rabbit feed for a boost of copper, keep it to 1/4 cup a day. Also at that age she needs more than just hay and mineral blocks. We give sweet feed until the are six months old, they get corn all through the winter and a little in the summer for variety. Some form of grain like goat pellets, barley, oats, bread, whatever is also needed for growing goats; big goats should have some too. As long as your baby isn’t getting sick give free feed, keeping in mind goats should look fairly fat when they’re healthy.
If my adult goats get underweight I give them “fatso granola” it is about 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds, 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, 1/2-1 cup oats, 2tbs apple cider vinegar, 4-8 cups deer corn, dash of cinnamon and covered in molasses. Add some peanuts for a little extra boost too.

Nigerians will literally eat til they die so the fact that her goat wants to eat everything is normal for a Nigerian.
The feeding regimine that you recommend - itf it works for you that is great however I see "metabolic nightmare".
Molasses, at least too much interferes with mineral absorption. BOSS without balancing the calcium will essentially be too high in phosphorus, and straight corn can give acidosis. A dairy goat feed is best it is balanced and formulated for proper nutrition. I can not see ever giving bread to a goat. Working dairy goats should NOT look fat. They should have an adequate BCS score with proper fleshing.

Molly's herbals is effective however for many it isn't enough depending on the region and how diligent they are at monitoring EPG counts. We have done many herd assessments and have found that there is a general false sence of security with those that do herbal deworming. Mostly because there is zero monitoring being done. When we get there and see white membranes and run fecals and see the counts as well as show the FAMACHA ( we are certified) owners are shocked that their goats are heading toward total crash. Knowing how to monitor is key for any method but sometimes chemical deowrmers are necessary and coccidia prevention and or treatments are vital on most farms. The danger can be looked at both ways. One, herbals not being enough and false sense of security and chemical dewormers used incorrectly.

@Lincoln's mom see above. And give free choice hay at all times, limit feed.

Quick question: So this is referring to Safeguard? And it DOES work if used like this? I've always been shy of it because everyone always says it never works at all.
Yes, however if you already have built resistance or the goats you brought in have created superworms then no.
Fecals with EPG counts to check efficacy and follow through for all 4 stages are critical.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Fecals rock! I learned how to run fecals when we went to Tennessee to get Ringo from @Mike CHS. His wife, Teresa, showed me how to do fecals. I got all my stuff together and ran my first fecals. They left me DUMBFOUNDED. I had a couple of sheep that had barber pole counts so high, I don't know how they weren't dead. And their eye membranes were pink, not the brightest pink, but pink enough to not be alarming. My worst sheep traced back to one of my original sheep. I'll be cleaning house and culling.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
What is the acceptable range of eggs per gram, if no one minds me asking?
https://www.backyardherds.com/resources/what-is-a-high-load-when-to-de-worm.41/

I really need to update this and do a better job of it! LOL
The point in the article is understanding each individual goat.
It is often suggested in most research to deworm only when counts reach a particular number (2000 EPG or so) but I strongly disagree because over many years we see the ill affects of those high numbers. When numbers get too high people hit them hard and that is more often then not deadly.
Work with your vet but also LEARN to do your own fecals and observe.

Fecals rock! I learned how to run fecals when we went to Tennessee to get Ringo from @Mike CHS. His wife, Teresa, showed me how to do fecals. I got all my stuff together and ran my first fecals. They left me DUMBFOUNDED. I had a couple of sheep that had barber pole counts so high, I don't know how they weren't dead. And their eye membranes were pink, not the brightest pink, but pink enough to not be alarming. My worst sheep traced back to one of my original sheep. I'll be cleaning house and culling.

That is awesome.
I preach it, teach it, stress the importance, yet so many still don't learn. I cannot understand it.
It is easy to do and one of the best management tools.