Diet Supplement for First-Calf Heifer

Alison

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi -
I have a 2+ year old Holstein/probably Angus cross. She's 4 months pregnant, due in March. Currently she is on pasture. I'll switch her to an alfalfa mix in October. I give her about 2 cups alfalfa pellets sprinkled with a mineral mix. I'm wondering if I should start supplementing her diet with anything at this point?

Thanks!

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
At this point you need to make sure that she is getting adequate protein, and to make sure that her body condition score is at least at a 5 (6 would be a little better). Since she is a Holstein cross, she probably will be a heavy milker, an will need some nutrient-dense supplementation after calving. About 6 - 8 lbs of corn / day would be my choice. Keeping her in good body condition is key to getting her bred back and assuring that the calf gets adequate milk. Also be sure that the pasture or hay she is getting along with the corn is of very good quality. Good luck!

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
At this point she just entered her second trimester and isn't at the stage where she's going to be needing a lot of protein and energy yet until she gets into the third trimester. But, she's a growing heifer and a Holstein, so her protein needs will be a little more especially if she's thinner than she should be (as JHM said check her body condition, and don't do it just by eye sight) and is growing herself. The most important thing to do at this stage is to maintain or improve her body condition if she is at normal condition or a little thin, respectively.