DIY Alternative to Timothy Hay?

The Chick Addict

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I just fed alfalfa pellets to my rabbits. I never heard about feeding different types of hay. Pellets are easy, less waste than when i tried feeding hay, and we had 100 breeders. I fed 1 oz rolled oats in the am (standard oats fell through the screen bottom feeders) and 1 cup pellet at night worked well. I was on an accelerated breeding program, so I used 18% instead of standard 16% pellet to keep the does in good condition. For the rabbits DH was showing we made up a mix of sunflower seeds, oats, barley, sweet feed, occasionally some calf manna. Only fed 1 oz of that and really did not see much difference. If I had older does on the accelerated breeding program I would occasionally give a bit of calf manna for their milk production. The oats put on hard flesh for the show table.

What is the reason for feeding Timothy?
Thanks for the information! I'm not sure, almost every website and person said Timothy Hay was necessary for rabbits... :\

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Raised NZW, Californian meat rabbits, Holland Lops, Havanas - winning show rabbits and accelerated meat breeding program for years. Never heard about Timothy hay being good for them let alone necessary. Some breeders did feed alfalfa but we had suspended wire bottom cages and it was just wasteful to feed hay since most of the leafy good bits fell through the wire. Mayb the type of hay is based on the part of the country you live in. Here is so CA alfalfa is the most reasonable priced and highest protein.

Sundragons

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
1. Check local feed stores. Orchard grass, bermuda, and timothy are usually available there. A lot of times they'll let you fill a feed bag for like 5 bucks, you just need to ask them (dunno how many rabbits you have. We go through a bale a month between rabbits/pigs/tortoises but if you have one or 2, that's obviously overkill.) TSC will also have it in a mini bale for about 20 bucks. Don't overdo it on alfalfa, it's fine as a supplement, but as the main grass it's not ideal. too rich.

2. plant your own, If you only need a bit, might be worth the effort to start cultivating a patch.

The Chick Addict

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
1. Check local feed stores. Orchard grass, bermuda, and timothy are usually available there. A lot of times they'll let you fill a feed bag for like 5 bucks, you just need to ask them (dunno how many rabbits you have. We go through a bale a month between rabbits/pigs/tortoises but if you have one or 2, that's obviously overkill.) TSC will also have it in a mini bale for about 20 bucks. Don't overdo it on alfalfa, it's fine as a supplement, but as the main grass it's not ideal. too rich.

2. plant your own, If you only need a bit, might be worth the effort to start cultivating a patch.
Thanks for the advice y'all! 💚

Kiki

Not just born
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Hi! I have heard and read several times that Timothy Hay is necessary for rabbits but now-a-days a 16 oz. bag costs $15! :he I just don't have the time or money to go to the store so often. I have Blue Winter Rye growing and also Buffalo grass, would the hay from this grass be good to feed my rabs instead of Timothy?

Thanks!
I buy these.
It lasts an entire YEAR for my one rabbit.

Latest posts