DIY Field Shelters/Run-Ins

CLSranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I think the door option is a good idea as well. Like most things better to have and not need etc...
Like Alaskan I don't use the blankets and none of my family ever have unless it's a show horse and they are trying to keep the coat shorter. Without the blanket they grow what they need for the weather. With it is kind of like an inside dog except you have to go take the blankets off all the time.
I'd also add a few panels long by say 1 wide or whatever the width of your structure is so they can be penned small or smaller in case they do need some extra attention.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think the door option is a good idea as well. Like most things better to have and not need etc...
Like Alaskan I don't use the blankets and none of my family ever have unless it's a show horse and they are trying to keep the coat shorter. Without the blanket they grow what they need for the weather. With it is kind of like an inside dog except you have to go take the blankets off all the time.
I'd also add a few panels long by say 1 wide or whatever the width of your structure is so they can be penned small or smaller in case they do need some extra attention.
My worry with doors is they are usually made too small...

And horses can be... horses... and a bit rowdy at times.

I like a great big opening for them to run in and out of... so even if they are mad at each other, no one gets pinned or in trouble.

Of course.... if you have a great big door... then all good.

Latest posts