DIY - Thoughts on Fondant Feeders

Amiga

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Morning, all, and welcome to the new Beekeeping Forum at BackYardHerds! Thanks Rob, Sumi, and all who have made this happen.

Ahh, a blank slate! (c:

My thoughts today are on how best to provide fondant to a new hive that has had its challenges this year. They will need a significant amount of fondant. There is room for it (one reason I know they need it), and I need to finally decide what shape it will be and how it will be placed in the hive.

Hanging from a top bar?
Sitting in some kind of base?
Attached to its own frame?
In a wire basket secured to a false back board?

Are there businesses that sell fondant supports, fondant feeders, fondant baskets, whatever form this item might take?

Happy Chooks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I haven't used fondant, but I have used Dadant's Winter patties with great results. I only went through 1 patty over the winter for my hive. In the spring, I switch to the Brood Builder patty. They keep really well in the freezer. I just pull one out and thaw before placing in the hive.

Mine is a Langsroth, so I lay the patty over the top of the frames. I'm not sure if your set up has a space to put it on top of the frames.

Amiga

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The difference between Langstroths and TBHs will be a factor here, and it will help us think more creatively, I feel.

So,

What are the dimensions of what you use?

Happy Chooks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I haven't measured it, but roughly 7 inches by 10 inches and less than 1/2 inch thick. I hope you get someone experienced in TBH's to weigh in here.

Amiga

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I wonder if I could cut it down to the TBH dimensions? Rather than square, the cross-section of the TBH is trapezoidal. So that might fit, with extra space at the top. hmmm