Do female rabbits EVER get along?!

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
The only chance would be if they are spayed. Most of the time females don't get along even if spayed but once in a while you get a pair that will get along. There are also bonding articles on House Rabbit Society's webpage.

miss_thenorth

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
There is an animal farm near me, who has their rabbits living in a colony type setting. I know for a fact that they have more than one doe living together, as well as more than one buck. I think it has to do with the amount of space--they have their requirements. If you looked up colony raised rabbits, you might be able to come up with some more info. Eventually, I would like to provide my bunns with a colony type setting, but it will take planning and space. so for now, my bunns livie in cages, with some "free play": time as offered by my dd.

big brown horse

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
There is an animal farm near me, who has their rabbits living in a colony type setting. I know for a fact that they have more than one doe living together, as well as more than one buck. I think it has to do with the amount of space--they have their requirements. If you looked up colony raised rabbits, you might be able to come up with some more info. Eventually, I would like to provide my bunns with a colony type setting, but it will take planning and space. so for now, my bunns livie in cages, with some "free play": time as offered by my dd.
Thank you!

Colony living is the way I would like to go. Thank you!! I'll look it up. Perhaps we should start a thread on it?

rebecca100

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I want to do the colony thing too and on pasture grass. Maybe it would be a good thread.

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
when we first relocated the rabbits here after having them in my old place, we kinda did the colony thing in a dog pen. it worked well, each doe had its territory all ate together, etc.( had a buck in with them by mistake) when it came time for them to have their babies, instinct took over and they dug borrows, all over. those turned into connecting tunnels, until a heavy rain. don't know how many babies might have been lost, all the moms escaped, either into the pen or ouside in the wide wonderful world. caught some when they moved in under the chicken house, others were never seen again. so, be sure they cannot tunnel out from where ever you house them. ;)

big brown horse

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
currycomb said:
when we first relocated the rabbits here after having them in my old place, we kinda did the colony thing in a dog pen. it worked well, each doe had its territory all ate together, etc.( had a buck in with them by mistake) when it came time for them to have their babies, instinct took over and they dug borrows, all over. those turned into connecting tunnels, until a heavy rain. don't know how many babies might have been lost, all the moms escaped, either into the pen or ouside in the wide wonderful world. caught some when they moved in under the chicken house, others were never seen again. so, be sure they cannot tunnel out from where ever you house them. ;)
:/ That is tragic. Sorry to hear about that.

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It would be really difficult to set up a colony situation appropriately. A normal range for a rabbit colony is about 5 acres. So that would mean that each doe should have that for her and her kits.
Rabbits really like to be alone for the most part. Some will tolerate each other(littermates), but generally, one will be picked on all the time, while the other dominant pushes around. To me, it's hard to watch one push the other around all the time when they could be separated and happy!
I hate weaning, so I wait until the dynamics begin before I initiate the separation. Usually around 3 months is when it starts getting ugly.
Spaying my change the normal behaviors, but intact rabbits need lots of space to tolerate each other.

rebelshope

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I highly suggest you fix your rabbits if you do a colony type setting.

Latest posts