Do I cull him or keep him?

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Many rabbits don't need companions and doesn't sound like he fits your needs. But there's a very good reason most breeders have their rabbits separated from 12 weeks on.
I do understand that. The two of them didn’t appear to have any problems with each other until 3-4 weeks ago. That’s when I should have separated them.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mini Rex and Lionheads are what are known as dwarf breeds, meaning that they employ the dwarfing gene to get the tiny, compact animal described in the breed standard. Unfortunately, the dwarfing gene is a lethal gene; any rabbit that gets a copy of it from both parents (referred to as a peanut) will be deformed and die, usually within a couple of days of birth. Virtually all of the purebreds of the dwarf breeds that meet the size requirements of their respective breed standards have one copy of the dwarfing gene, and one copy of the normal growth gene. When breeding dwarf rabbits, one of the possibilities is a rabbit that didn't get a dwarfing gene from either parent, but instead got the normal growth gene from both of them. We call these animals "false dwarfs," and they generally grow to be half a pound to a pound over the showable maximum for their breed. You can usually spot them easily; they have longer bodies, longer, narrower heads, and longer ears than their "true dwarf" siblings. Looking at pictures you posted of Heath and Clover on another thread, their proportions give me the impression that Heath is a false dwarf, and Clover is a true dwarf.

Obviously, there are other genes besides the dwarfing gene that influence how big a rabbit grows; even false dwarfs are waaayy smaller than the commercial breeds. Breeders have to watch the size, even of the true dwarfs, because they can creep upward or downward over generations. Mini Rex are one of the worst for this; Rex breeders refer to an animal they call a "Midi Rex" that is much too small to be a standard Rex, yet much too big to be a Mini.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Mini Rex and Lionheads are what are known as dwarf breeds, meaning that they employ the dwarfing gene to get the tiny, compact animal described in the breed standard. Unfortunately, the dwarfing gene is a lethal gene; any rabbit that gets a copy of it from both parents (referred to as a peanut) will be deformed and die, usually within a couple of days of birth. Virtually all of the purebreds of the dwarf breeds that meet the size requirements of their respective breed standards have one copy of the dwarfing gene, and one copy of the normal growth gene. When breeding dwarf rabbits, one of the possibilities is a rabbit that didn't get a dwarfing gene from either parent, but instead got the normal growth gene from both of them. We call these animals "false dwarfs," and they generally grow to be half a pound to a pound over the showable maximum for their breed. You can usually spot them easily; they have longer bodies, longer, narrower heads, and longer ears than their "true dwarf" siblings. Looking at pictures you posted of Heath and Clover on another thread, their proportions give me the impression that Heath is a false dwarf, and Clover is a true dwarf.

Obviously, there are other genes besides the dwarfing gene that influence how big a rabbit grows; even false dwarfs are waaayy smaller than the commercial breeds. Breeders have to watch the size, even of the true dwarfs, because they can creep upward or downward over generations. Mini Rex are one of the worst for this; Rex breeders refer to an animal they call a "Midi Rex" that is much too small to be a standard Rex, yet much too big to be a Mini.
So if I’m understanding you correctly Clover has one dwarf gene and one standard gene. Then Heath inherited non dwarf genes from both of his parents. Does that make Clover a breedable bunny if I want nice and small bunnies? Then the only reason Heath carries a dwarf name/title is because both of his parents had dwarf genes but did not pass them to Heath. So logistically speaking Heath doesn’t have any dwarf gene to pass on to his offspring. Right? Genetics can get confusing to sometimes.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
"By George, I think she's got it!":thumbsup:lol:(Professor Higgins, My Fair Lady)

(Gads, my age is showing, isn't it?:hide)

Though it is possible that only one of Heath's parents had a dwarfing gene to pass on. A lot of breeders will use the false dwarf does (some call them brood does, or even 'big ugly does') with true dwarf bucks. False dwarfs have slightly larger litters on average than their true dwarf counterparts, seldom have delivery problems, and never have peanuts. But, as I said, you have to learn what good type looks like without the dwarfing gene, because size, especially, can creep upward on you, and even your true dwarfs can wind up too big.

Last edited:

Mary Nunn

Just born
Reaction score
I raise rabbits both to sell (pedigree) and for meat. I always seaparate my bucks because they will fight. It’s a natural instinct.
Saying that, I have culled many and want to share something about cooking rabbit since this will be your first time.
Brining then overnight has worked wonders for tenderness of the meat. The loins cook great on grill, spit and oven.
I personally love the Flemish better than the others we have tried.
Good luck.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know NOTHING about rabbits but will toss out my reasoning when deciding about roosters. (Applies, I think)
1. Is he friendly? I will NOT tolerate aggression to me or to the other chickens and I believe that it is often 'passed on' (in MANY species) The most PERFECT roo I will ever own will be in the canning jars because of a nasty attitude.
2 Does he have any traits that will improve my pen? Even an interesting color combo will sometimes get a good roo a 'pass' for a year to see how his chicks turn out. I don't have many purebred birds so I'm only concerned about health, size & egg laying consistency in my flock.
3 Does he have any traits that will weaken my pen? A roo with a great attitude and unique coloring that has had bumblefoot 2x is going in the canning jars.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I raise rabbits both to sell (pedigree) and for meat. I always seaparate my bucks because they will fight. It’s a natural instinct.
Saying that, I have culled many and want to share something about cooking rabbit since this will be your first time.
Brining then overnight has worked wonders for tenderness of the meat. The loins cook great on grill, spit and oven.
I personally love the Flemish better than the others we have tried.
Good luck.
May I ask this? Why do you prefer Flemish Giants over other meat rabbits. I had a Flemish giant when I was a child. He was the sweetest rabbit I had way back then. I want a rabbit that tastes really good. I don’t mind the large bone structure, their slow growing, or that they eat quite a bit. I want a rabbit that is easy to work with, gentle, and on the friendlier side. I had thought about New Zealand rabbits as well. But, beyond those characteristics I really do want a rabbit that tastes really well. I do know Flemish also make amazing pets as well. Do you have a favorite breed of rabbit that you think tastes the best?

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I know NOTHING about rabbits but will toss out my reasoning when deciding about roosters. (Applies, I think)
1. Is he friendly? I will NOT tolerate aggression to me or to the other chickens and I believe that it is often 'passed on' (in MANY species) The most PERFECT roo I will ever own will be in the canning jars because of a nasty attitude.
2 Does he have any traits that will improve my pen? Even an interesting color combo will sometimes get a good roo a 'pass' for a year to see how his chicks turn out. I don't have many purebred birds so I'm only concerned about health, size & egg laying consistency in my flock.
3 Does he have any traits that will weaken my pen? A roo with a great attitude and unique coloring that has had bumblefoot 2x is going in the canning jars.
I like your points. I too believe that attitude and personality is also passed along in genetics. I’ve heard a few people say all you have to do is show the animal/roo who’s boss and that usually settles them down. I’m an animal lover. Personally I don’t want an animal around that I need to teach them who’s the leader of pack. I will kick at a nippy or aggressive dog or cat. But if I have to do it a second time they will be gone. I just don’t want to deal with bad behavior, but I also don’t want to teach that “I’m the boss” method of animal raising to our young daughter. She’s already too sharp and picks up on many things that I really don’t want her .

Rezchamp

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I very much dislike making those kinds of decisions and I believe I can relate to your dilemma. That said I think for the sake of the rest of the herd and my own peace of mind I need to consider making a meal out critters such as Heath. My own personal thoughts here now.. Honor his life essence by making a meal for myself and my fam.
FYI We do like domestic, feral and endemic wild rabbit meat in many different ways of cooking it.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I very much dislike making those kinds of decisions and I believe I can relate to your dilemma. That said I think for the sake of the rest of the herd and my own peace of mind I need to consider making a meal out critters such as Heath. My own personal thoughts here now.. Honor his life essence by making a meal for myself and my fam.
FYI We do like domestic, feral and endemic wild rabbit meat in many different ways of cooking it.
I hadn’t thought about that. But I think rabbit is one of the more universal meats eaten around the world.