Do I need to paint my hives?

GoateeMcfee

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hello! I am getting my first bees this April!! I got my hives (2) a few weeks ago and haven't done much to them. I read and was told that painting them is a good idea, but wasn't given a lot of reasoning to that. I love how they look right now as they are a nice pretty wood. So I'm curious, do I need to paint them? Are there benefits to painting them? Also any insight for a new beekeeper are greatly appreciated, thank you!!

🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝

CLSranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Painting seals them from the weather and protects from the UV light which will fade them even if they're sealed. Certain out door stains or waxes are good. I used TWP Total Wood Preservative which doesn't protect from UV damage. 2 years later I really need to sand and restain with something else. They look aged and kind of like a mold is growing on them.
If you use something other than paint make sure it permanently seals and has a complete UV block. I do some wood working with a friend but can't think of what he uses that works on outdoor furniture.

GoateeMcfee

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Painting seals them from the weather and protects from the UV light which will fade them even if they're sealed. Certain out door stains or waxes are good. I used TWP Total Wood Preservative which doesn't protect from UV damage. 2 years later I really need to sand and restain with something else. They look aged and kind of like a mold is growing on them.
If you use something other than paint make sure it permanently seals and has a complete UV block. I do some wood working with a friend but can't think of what he uses that works on outdoor furniture.
Oh okay thank you! That makes sense.

Field Bee

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have some supers and hive bodies that I never got around to painting and they are holding up just as well as the painted ones. It seems that its kind of hit or miss when it comes to lumber that was used. Some of my hive bodies rotted out in about 8 to 10 years at the finger joints and most look good whether they are painted or not.

Best advice I can give you is to treat the bees with oxalic acid drench before they have capped brood. It will increase the chance of them overwintering.

Last edited:

GoateeMcfee

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank you all for the input! I will definitely be painting them :D =D

(P.S. @Alaskan, what type of chickens are those in your profile picture? They look crazy!!🤣)

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you all for the input! I will definitely be painting them :D =D

(P.S. @Alaskan, what type of chickens are those in your profile picture? They look crazy!!🤣)
Appenzeller Spitzhauben, or Spitz for short. Those are in the Chamois color.

Ok... I maybe picked a few too many photos....

As a chick
20201012_121439.jpg

20190928_203800.jpg

20170805_130326-1-1-1.jpg

20170805_130534-2.jpg
20170805_130538-1.jpg

Oh... I didn't put in and hen photos. :idunno

GoateeMcfee

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score