Do I need to put rails on my milking stand?

Adri

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My does kidded 1 week ago. Earlier this week I was busy building a milking stand, I made it longer and wider than all of the plans I saw online because I have big Saanen girls and I wanted to be able to sit behind them. I am quite happy with the finished product, and I have been using it for the past 2 days to milk out one of the does on one side (she gets engorged and won't let the kid nurse from that side). My only problem is that both times, after I am done and about to let her off the stand, she steps off the side with one leg while her head is still in the stanchion. Will my goats eventually learn not to step off the stand or do I need to put rails on at least one side?

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I think they'll learn not to step off. If it's a super tall stand, you may want to put sides, but really if she can touch the ground she'll be fine.

Adri

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks. I hope you are right and she can learn. She can just barely touch the ground with her back leg and her sister is a couple of inches shorter than her. I might just move the stand up against the garage so that I am sitting on the only open side.

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Side rails might get in your way sometimes. I like to be able to sit on the stand when milking if I want to.

daisychick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I put my stand up against a wall so I sit on the open side. Then they really can't move much to either side.

Adri

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. She stood in it for a bath this morning and didn't fall off. Maybe she is learning. Either way, I am moving the woodpile over so that I can put it against the garage wall.

Stacykins

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am personally adding rails to my milking stand. It is higher (with steps for the goats) so I can be at a comfortable height for hoof trimming, and eventual milking. But my wether, Artie, had a minor freak out during a hoof trimming (rainy day, but an unexpected clap of thunder scared him) and stepped off the side WHILE his head was in the head gate. I am absolutely SHOCKED he did not break his neck, I immediately grabbed his body to take the weight off his neck and freed him. I was right there. Not that I'd ever leave a goat unattended in the stand, but that scared me.

Adri

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It was good you were there with him! The first time my doe stepped off, I had to pick her up (she weighs 150!) and put her back up as she completely lost her footing. If I had not been there, it could have been dangerous. The second time she did it, she was able to hold up her own weight with the leg that went down. I certainly wouldn't be comfortable leaving her unattended in the milking stand after seeing that happen. :/ I'm trying to think of some sort of temporary rail system I could rig up. I'll be keeping my eyes open for old hospital beds.