Do is need a shed/house for my la manchas?

norcal

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:
I really like the cinderblock base.. Hmmmm! You have given me ideas now!
Yes! That's a great idea, that I will attempt to get honey to use on the next shelter. :)

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
And are we getting photos ?! :D:D:D:D We put an old tire, and a tree stump in the pen for our girls. They love it to death, they also climb on their house.

sandy sea

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Goat Lady, Thanks for the picture of you shed/house for the goats. It looks great. I am going to show my husband the picture so he can make me something like it. Thanks

Laney

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Here is a picture of our goat quonset hut - our first try at goat housing. This is for folks who live in the south or a temperate climate.
488141748_85HUt-M.jpg

It was only our first attempt because to be honest our goats thought it made a better toy than "hut". It now lies sagging to one side 3/4 flat. Since they are pygmies they can still get under it and do when they feel like it, however, we cannot. Because we built it using cattle fence doubled, we can not unbend it. It might be useful for other folks who could improve on our design. Perhaps straightening the walls? Or reinforcing them so they won't collapse when the goats try to climb?

Here is our chicken coop:
522501694_UeBwK-S.jpg

522501771_DPTXo-S.jpg

There was a door on it. However, the combination of my daughter opening it too wide, and the goats thinking it was waaaaay better than their hut....and no door. This is where Lil'Mama choose to give birth. The chickens no longer live there they live on the staunchion and the goat hut. I'm showing it to you because the stromberg plates we used to put it together are the same we are using to build the goat barn. It will be the same style, but with the door going in the opposite directon (point at the top) and it will have a 14 foot diameter (if a pentagon can have a diameter). The skeleton for the goat barn is up now with a weather proof tarp over it...just no pictures.

Laney

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That is so cool Laney! .. I am saving your photo and showing my mum later. We are trying to think of a little building for the girls that doesnt' take too much lumber and this looks like what I was thinking of! ... I wanted a small building for their night run until I get a proper goat barn up and running (probably won't be until next summer at this rate, as I still have to build a horse run in shelter for the winter) so this solves my problems!

We have calf hut for the pasture run in shed for the goats...

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Where did you get the stromberg plates? Home Depot/Lowes?

Laney

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We got them from here http://www.strombergschickens.com/

You can put up a structure that has those triangular openings, you can put up just a pavilion. People use them for green houses. I would imagine you wouldn't have to wall in all sides etc.

Our chicken hut has a plywood floor with chicken wire underlay underneath to keep rodents and snakes from coming up through it at night. Our Goat hut has no floor.

Instead of leveling off the ground for the hut (and don't hurt me here) we took the post pounder and pounded some fence poles in just 36" or so and then cut the one at highest ground off and leveled the other 5 to it. Then we bolted the bottom frame of the pentagon to it.

I would imagine leveling the land would be easier for you?

Laney

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
LOL the sensitive subject of posts!! ... Where the goat night pen is it would be easy to level off, for the most part it is already level.

Eventually when the barn is redone, they will have half a 300ft barn.

goat lady

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
That picture was taken before we put the hay rack inside also. Living in Florida my goats like to lay in there during the day along with the night. Having the hay rack inside keeps the hay dry in all our rain we get during these summer months. The opening on the side where my son is sitting is where the bench is and there is another opening on the other side for them to jump up on and lay on the bench inside. My husband still needs to plywood the front two little sides and then I have to decide on a color of paint. I was thinking of a barn red color. :D I can say this that our goats love it. We are planning on starting a smaller version for the back pasture for them since our herd has been growing. We are just waiting for cooler weather. :cool: