Do these cattle look healthy to you?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
If the owner has had those cattle there for 2 years and they are this skinny, then he has had more than enough chance to feed them. These cattle are starving. Even if he feeds the 4 bales of hay, it’s not enough to bring them back to health. Probably the high cost of feed and hay is too much for him to pay. I get it. Plus we had a bad drought last summer. Ranchers SOLD THEIR CATTLE because they couldn’t feed them—they didn’t starve them.

Call the Sheriff department on him.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
As the others have said say something and call the proper people. This is disgusting and cannot be tolerated. I experienced something similar several years ago and I can say the best thing you can do for those animals is report him. There is 0 excuses for this type of neglect.

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I will tell you from a cattle owners' prospective, they are extremely thin to the point of several look emaciated.
Possible plan.... call the owner and say someone stopped at your house and said "your cattle" looked like they were very very thin and that you needed to feed them (or something to this effect).... and you told them that they were not your cattle, that you didn't know who they belonged to..... gets you off the hook.... and tell the owner that you thought you should pass it on as they seem to be trying to reach under the fence for anything they can get to eat.... see what happens in a week and if they are not fed anything then call whoever you need to. There are some pretty strict laws about starving animals and in my opinion they are starving....
We run a cow - calf operation and unless an animal is sick or has a bad case of worms that we are treating for, I have never had an animal get that thin in my life. Feed them or sell them.....
I admire that you want them to survive on more than the thin air.... yes, turn them in if a phone call does not produce results in them getting fed within a week....
NO EXCUSE for starving an animal.

A beef cow should not be showing any ribs if they are in good flesh. Literally, we seldom if ever see the ribs, let alone the hips and pins like these are showing.... That is very unacceptable.

And no, I don't pull any punches when I give an opinion....
Thank you so much for this. I agree with you 100%

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If the owner has had those cattle there for 2 years and they are this skinny, then he has had more than enough chance to feed them. These cattle are starving. Even if he feeds the 4 bales of hay, it’s not enough to bring them back to health. Probably the high cost of feed and hay is too much for him to pay. I get it. Plus we had a bad drought last summer. Ranchers SOLD THEIR CATTLE because they couldn’t feed them—they didn’t starve them.

Call the Sheriff department on him.
Right, last year was bad. I did end up calling the Sheriff. I just cannot sit back and watch. There is no need for any animal to have to suffer. Thank you for responding.

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
As the others have said say something and call the proper people. This is disgusting and cannot be tolerated. I experienced something similar several years ago and I can say the best thing you can do for those animals is report him. There is 0 excuses for this type of neglect.
Thank you for responding. I have called the sheriff. Hopefully they will take action.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Texas has pretty strict laws about neglect. This owner may have had problems this year with the drought and his grass may have disappeared, but he should have been bringing them hay. My cattle tenant grazes his cattle on my acres, and with the drought he was feeding extra hay even though we had grass. He didn't want to over graze and he only had about 15 cows and a bull on 40 acres n northeast Texas where the grass is good. You didn't say how large the area they are in is, but it sounds like it is a dry lot situation. Do they have water? How often does the owner come by to check them? In the condition they are I am surprised that they are still breeding and producing live calves. A starving cow won't have any milk for her calf even if she can bring it to term and have the strength to deliver it.

Let us know what happens. This situation gives all livestock people a bad name. Hope they impound the cattle.

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Texas has pretty strict laws about neglect. This owner may have had problems this year with the drought and his grass may have disappeared, but he should have been bringing them hay. My cattle tenant grazes his cattle on my acres, and with the drought he was feeding extra hay even though we had grass. He didn't want to over graze and he only had about 15 cows and a bull on 40 acres n northeast Texas where the grass is good. You didn't say how large the area they are in is, but it sounds like it is a dry lot situation. Do they have water? How often does the owner come by to check them? In the condition they are I am surprised that they are still breeding and producing live calves. A starving cow won't have any milk for her calf even if she can bring it to term and have the strength to deliver it.

Let us know what happens. This situation gives all livestock people a bad name. Hope they impound the cattle.
I think its about 100 acres they are on but its dry. There are trees/bushes but no grass. Its a sad sight. Thankfully there is a tank that has some water in it and he does have a trough that is hooked up to a water line if needed. He doesn't come by here often. I would say maybe once a month or so...at least that is what I notice. He could come by more often, I do not know. What I do know is that he isn't bringing hay often because I walk every day and rarely do I see hay out for them. Now, about a month a go there were 2 round bales out for them. That is the most I have seen him give at one time. And he left 4 bales there, but like mentioned the cows can only look at them, they cannot get to the hay because he shut the gate to where the 4 bales are located. It makes me want to throw up. I will keep you posted on what happens. Thanks for responding.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do keep us posted. Typically if the Sheriff’s Department impounds them, they will feed and care for them, then auction them off after a certain period of time.

Our local sheriff has frequent auctions. Anyone caught with drugs in this county gets their car impounded and seized. He auctions county surplus and “retired” equipment. Once he busted a grow house and later auctioned off the house. They made a drug bust at one place where there were goats and several hundred chickens. They impounded the animals, all were cared for and health inspected, then the sheriff held a special BRING YOUR OWN CAGE auction event.

Just know that you have done the right thing by reporting these cattle.

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Do keep us posted. Typically if the Sheriff’s Department impounds them, they will feed and care for them, then auction them off after a certain period of time.

Our local sheriff has frequent auctions. Anyone caught with drugs in this county gets their car impounded and seized. He auctions county surplus and “retired” equipment. Once he busted a grow house and later auctioned off the house. They made a drug bust at one place where there were goats and several hundred chickens. They impounded the animals, all were cared for and health inspected, then the sheriff held a special BRING YOUR OWN CAGE auction event.

Just know that you have done the right thing by reporting these cattle.
Thank you. I appreciate the encouragement. I knew in my soul it was the right thing to do. I love animals, I am not vegan, but I do believe in caring for and loving everything God puts in your hands. Here is a pic of the acres they are trying to eat from. It just breaks my heart. I hope the deputy stops by my house. The cows were at the fence mooing for me to bring them some treats, which I did but it surely is not enough to do any good. I give them Timothy hay cubes.

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you. I appreciate the encouragement. I knew in my soul it was the right thing to do. I love animals, I am not vegan, but I do believe in caring for and loving everything God puts in your hands. Here is a pic of the acres they are trying to eat from. It just breaks my heart. I hope the deputy stops by my house. The cows were at the fence mooing for me to bring them some treats, which I did but it surely is not enough to do any good. I give them Timothy hay cubes.

Attachments

• 20230214_095552.jpg
    20230214_095552.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 65

Latest posts