Doe with Polio Before Pregnancy, kids are losing red blood cells

ChickenMomma

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We have a doe that had polio two weeks before she was bred. Complete recovery and seemed healthy. We lost her 4 month old doeling just a couple weeks ago, with what was a very rapid loss of red blood cells, worms were present, but not enough of a load to warrant the depletion. She died within 48 hours of us even noticing anything was wrong. Now her sibling, a buckling is starting to show the same symptoms. His FAMACHA is about a 3, diarrhea. I wormed him this morning with safegard and cydectin. Giving electrolyte water which he isn't touching yet. He's acting lethargic and not eating much at all. I'm doing everything the vet educated me to do after his sister passed but feel like I am fighting a losing battle. My next step is vitamin B and iron vaccine.

Has anyone dealt with cured polio having effects on the kids, like a depletion of red blood cells?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
My next step is vitamin B and iron vaccine.
Definitely do that - sooner rather than later.

When you say the doeling you lost had a rapid depletion off red blood cells - what are you basing that on? Were you going by the color of membranes? FAMACHA is a good tool, but it isn't 100%. A fecal is much more trustworthy.

I think your problem is parasites - not some kind of side effect of the dam having Polio. Barber pole worms can kill a kid very quickly. Also, be sure to re-worm in 10 days.

I like to use a combination of Valbazen and Cydectin. It has worked very well for me.

ChickenMomma

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Definitely do that - sooner rather than later.

When you say the doeling you lost had a rapid depletion off red blood cells - what are you basing that on? Were you going by the color of membranes? FAMACHA is a good tool, but it isn't 100%. A fecal is much more trustworthy.

I think your problem is parasites - not some kind of side effect of the dam having Polio. Barber pole worms can kill a kid very quickly. Also, be sure to re-worm in 10 days.

I like to use a combination of Valbazen and Cydectin. It has worked very well for me.

I am basing that on vet blood and fecal tests. I rushed her in for emergency visit she spiraled so quickly. I will reworm in 10 days for sure. Odd that the buckling is in a different field with different pasture. All other bucks and bucklings are thriving. All other does and doelings are thriving. I don't know if I am trying to make a coincidence with the siblings when there isn't one or not. Thank you for your advice.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Baerman fecal. They don't shed eggs until they are mature and they start causing issues before they are mature. Or you can treat it with Valbazen or Ivermectin Plus dosed orally, 2x 10 days apart.

Fluke does NOT cause diarrhea though. I missed that part. It just causes them to first go down hill slowly then suddenly within the span of a few days crash hard and die (liver damage).

If they have runs and sudden anemia yet not enough worms to warrant it I feel like the vet I used to have that was a goat breeder herself would recommend bloodwork to check for organ function, but worming is cheaper, so I'd personally worm them first as long as I felt they had a day or two before turning up dead. That's scary. I hope you figure it out.