does anyone feed

mistee

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Red Lake Earth Diatomaceous Earth with Calcium Bentonite Supplement,? saw this today and was wondering about it.

thanks

Back to Nature

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I don't, but I plan on using DE on my animals soon. I heard it's a really helpful supplement.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I sprinkle DE on the ground in my goat house after I clean it, before I put clean straw back in. I was told that it helps with parasites.

I think that a loose mineral supplement with other minerals that goats need would be better than giving DE.

DE is used in mixing with feeds to prevent it from clumping.

Renegade

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Waste of money as a supplement. It's okay for use on floors.

Donna

verkagj

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I put some into the feed bags. It kills off the weevils and other insects. I was just reading about feeding it to the animals as an wormicide. I'm about to run out of Hoegers Herbal Wormer and it is on back order. Then it takes over a month to get it here. I was going to order some and have it come via freight forwarder. Now I'm not so sure. Not much available locally.

Any other comments on using it for goats, dogs and cats?

Chris

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I agree with the others that said that it is a wast of money.
Diatomaceous Earth does kill internal parasites.

Chris

Back to Nature

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Chris said:
I agree with the others that said that it is a wast of money.
Diatomaceous Earth does kill internal parasites.

Chris
You agree with them, but say it does kill parasites... So why do you agree if you say it works?

pridegoethb4thefall

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
verkagj said:
I put some into the feed bags. It kills off the weevils and other insects. I was just reading about feeding it to the animals as an wormicide. I'm about to run out of Hoegers Herbal Wormer and it is on back order. Then it takes over a month to get it here. I was going to order some and have it come via freight forwarder. Now I'm not so sure. Not much available locally.

Any other comments on using it for goats, dogs and cats?
My vet was just saying today that DE was studied in sheep, and it did nothing for worms- NOT effective at getting rid of any internal parasites. I figure its probably true for most, if not all animals.

Also, please be VERY careful adding DE to feed- it is made of very sharp particulate matter, it is NOT supposed to be inhaled, at all. Animals do breathe while eating, and could sniff it into the nose and lungs.
Same with bedding...

I think the bag carries a warning about breathing it in, that its bad for your lungs.

I think its great for drying stuff up, and Ive used it in my chicken coop to dry up poo between cleanings, but never in feed or on bodies of any animal.

You will hear from people who swear it works, and thats fine. Before you use anything, look up the negative reviews, read both sides of the fences' opinions and experiences, then decide for yourself.

DE is just a very controversial subject.

Back to Nature

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I've heard people say it doesn't work, and I've heard people say it does. I say, I will wait to try it to decide.