does goat meat taste the same as sheep meat??

country farm girl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
sorry I am not sure where to put this. so does goat meat taste the same as sheep meat or is it diffunt?? I ask becues I do lambs for meat but this year they are really high prices for them and I can get goat kids cheap. the only thing is I have to feed them milk myself.

mama24

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
20kidsonhill said:
mama24 said:
No, it's much more like beef. :)
x2 or maybe a little more like mild venison
x2. I was thinking that after I posted earlier. :) It is much more like young doe venison than beef, but if you haven't had deer, then I would say beef is the closest common meat. :) It's not really anything like lamb. the flavor might be somewhat similar but it is very very lean, and the fat is what gives lamb the strong lamb flavor.

Four Winds Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing myself. I raise lambs, so naturely, we usually have lamb in the freezer, but have never had goat!
Good to know!!

poorboys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
we have a place that adds a little fat to our goat meat, and i would say that it is a little shy of tasting like lamb, our burgers can't tell the difference between it and hamburger except it's more lean, and the chops are just like lamb. i can't taste the game taste in it. maybe just the way its proccessed.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If you don't like lamb and don't like venison you probably wont like goat, but if you are already eating lamb and venison or you aren't a picky venison eater, then you wont have any problem eating goat meat. Taste buds are funny. I really don't notice a gamey taste in most food, but my husband can't stand it. The venison has to be practically from a fawn for him to eat it and soaked in milk for a week. He wont touch lamb.

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My mom likes goat meat but not lamb. She said goat meat is less gamey than in lamb. I have never had goat meat but I can tell the gamey flavor in lamb, venison, rabbits and even duck meat. I also understand the processing of the meat has a lot to do with the gamey flavor. I tasted goat milk the first time in my life and it was delicious. I look forward to tasting goat meat in the future. I hope I like it. :)

dhansen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So....how about buck goat meat? How does it taste? I am either going to take this nigi buck to auction or butcher him. Will I be grossed out by buck goat meat?