Drstratton - My Backyard Journey Journal

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I kept a close eye on the baby Marans today & they seemed to be accepted by the flock. I was concerned as to whether they would go back into the coop when the rest of the flock did, so I checked on them & sure enough they were huddled together outside. We scooped them up & placed them in the coop. I could tell that they were a little chilled. I blocked the door so the light could help them warm up. When I went back out later they were snuggled next to each other close to the light. Hopefully they will go in on their own tomorrow night, if not we will repeat the process...silly chicks!

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We did a little more work on the chicken pen this evening! Getting closer to finishing!

Top post to strengthen gate!
Top Post for Gate   5.5.2020.jpg

Lower section of fence in place, but not finished!
Lower fence layed  5.5.2020.jpg

Rebar in the rocks to attach the fencing!
Rebar in rocks  5.5.2020.jpg

Fence partially attached to rebar! Dale will be adding more fencing to fill everything in!
Fence Tied to Rebar 5.5.2020.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is looking good. I like the top post idea. If I did that, it would have to be tall enough to let a cab tractor through. We don't have one, but our hay guy delivers, so I have to consider that. When we had our built horse barn, I wanted an aisle 12' wide and 15' tall. Husband wanted to know why so tall and I told him when I was a kid, my best friend's grandparents lived on a farm. They had an old mare that us two kids could catch, slip a bridle on and ride. She would only go so far, before whirling around and galloping back to the barn. The opening was low, we had a choice of jumping off or getting our brains bashed out, so we bailed off, usually in scattered black berry vines. LOL We did it over and over again.

So that is why I wanted the opening so tall. I told my husband that if I wanted to drive a cab tractor through the barn, I could. Sure enough, hay guy has driven his cab tractor through the barn.

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That is looking good. I like the top post idea. If I did that, it would have to be tall enough to let a cab tractor through. We don't have one, but our hay guy delivers, so I have to consider that. When we had our built horse barn, I wanted an aisle 12' wide and 15' tall. Husband wanted to know why so tall and I told him when I was a kid, my best friend's grandparents lived on a farm. They had an old mare that us two kids could catch, slip a bridle on and ride. She would only go so far, before whirling around and galloping back to the barn. The opening was low, we had a choice of jumping off or getting our brains bashed out, so we bailed off, usually in scattered black berry vines. LOL We did it over and over again.

So that is why I wanted the opening so tall. I told my husband that if I wanted to drive a cab tractor through the barn, I could. Sure enough, hay guy has driven his cab tractor through the barn.
Thank you! I really like the top post, it finishes it off nicely and we didn't want to put any bracing for the gate that would extend out into the garden area! The only equipment that I have to worry about getting in that area is the riding mower, to many rocks in there for anything bigger!

What a fun memory, but ouch...blackberry brambles...that had to not feel good and we wonder why are bodies feel so beat up when we get older...lol 💞

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Good morning!

I thought I'd share some Chick Pics! These babies are 7 weeks old! I love my flock so much, some are kind of standoffish, unless I'm bringing their breakfast...lol! One of my RIR is super friendly like my Orpingtons! One of the Black Majesty Marans is starting to show some copper on the back of her neck, I'm thinking a throwback gene...can't wait to see how well she colors out, I wasn't able to get a good picture of her today!

Finally have a name for my Salmon Faverolle...Spazzy, trust me it fits...lol! Such a pretty little chick!
Spazzy  5.7.2020.jpg

Penny...I just can't get over her color!
Penny  5.7.2020.jpg

Penny 5.7.2020.jpg

Pearl, roosting with her sisters...every bit as beautiful as Penny! She's harder to get a good picture of, but her colors are also amazing! I need to catch her in the sunshine!
Roosting 5.7.2020.jpg

I finally got some good pictures of my Welsummer ladies! I love their coloring too!
Welsummer   5.7.2020.jpg

Welsummer 5.7.2020.jpg

Welsummer Hello 5.7.2020.jpg

Welsummer with Little Roo!
Welsummer & Little Roo  5.7.2020.jpg

Last but not least & usually underfoot...Little Roo
Little Roo  5.7.2020.jpg

Last edited:

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I was spending some time with my Bunny's and I realized there was a lot of action going on in the chicken pen! The rabbits have a constant show to watch, it would keep me entertained!:pop:pop:pop

Fluffy Butts & Bunny's!!!
<iframe width="1663" height="717" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>