Drstratton - My Backyard Journey Journal

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
A little update on our journey! The job that my husband has been doing is almost finished and so is he! He told the PUD that his last day will be June 18th. He only has 8 more days of work...:celebrate:weee:jumpy:bunny:jumpy:celebrateNo more driving through the dam gate, walking across the dam parking lot and entering the dam door, no longer a dam worker... 😂 I told him that I'm retiring too, the alarm clock will be moving to his night stand, either that or I will take it out & blast it with a shotgun 😂

Last edited:

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The reason for the skirting was...we had it leftover and with the ribs and grooves on the sides, we could attach each of the pieces together and remove them as one piece....it did work well for us, after I saw how the hay being sprinkled on the floor worked....it was even easier..... :celebrate
I can see how that would work really well...the easier we can make our chores the better! 😊

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We've been working in the garden all day today! I will share a post about all of that probably tomorrow or later this evening. Anyway, we cam in for some dinner to find a bowl of fresh cherries on the counter, complements of our oldest son! These are Chelans, they have good flavor, but are a little softer than I prefer...but that will not deter me from eating them...:D =D
First Cherries of the year 6.5.2020.jpg

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Since the chickens are going to be in a "controlled free range" and I get it with the "packs" that roam..... where you seed the grass..... also build a frame with 1x1 or 2x2 mesh to put over some of the grass. About a 2x6 on end, high..... as big as you want...something handleable like 4x8 or so, that you can move; even a couple that are 2x8 and then have a couple of "fresh grass spots"..... the grass in that area will grow, you can move it and they will always be able to get some fresh green grass. They can eat the stuff that grows up through it, but they won't be able to completely scratch and eat it to the roots everywhere. We did it in the smaller runs where the purebred breeding pens were and just let them eat what grew up.... never moved them but they had a small area to scratch the dirt and dust bathe.... but this allowed them to get some greens/grass as it grew up through the wire. Couldn't let the breeders out loose together as they were mated up for producing the show breeds.... would let a pen out late afternoon when I was there to watch.... but that was about once a week for any particular pen. They also would get some of the bugs that would get on the grass too. Chickens will naturally wear down the grass in spots, and you will never keep it "nice and pretty" like a lawn if they are on it all the time....this way they get benefits of both.... Like a moveable chicken tractor inside the pen... only you aren't moving the birds.... just the grass access.

Last edited:

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Since the chickens are going to be in a "controlled free range" and I get it with the "packs" that roam..... where you seed the grass..... also build a frame with 1x1 or 2x2 mesh to put over some of the grass. About a 2x6 on end, high..... as big as you want...something handleable like 4x8 or so, that you can move; even a couple that are 2x8 and then have a couple of "fresh grass spots"..... the grass in that area will grow, you can move it and they will always be able to get some fresh green grass. They can eat the stuff that grows up through it, but they won't be able to completely scratch and eat it to the roots everywhere. We did it in the smaller runs where the purebred breeding pens were and just let them eat what grew up.... never moved them but they had a small area to scratch the dirt and dust bathe.... but this allowed them to get some greens/grass as it grew up through the wire. Couldn't let the breeders out loose together as they were mated up for producing the show breeds.... would let a pen out late afternoon when I was there to watch.... but that was about once a week for any particular pen. They also would get some of the bugs that would get on the grass too. Chickens will naturally wear down the grass in spots, and you will never keep it "nice and pretty" like a lawn if they are on it all the time....this way they get benefits of both.... Like a moveable chicken tractor inside the pen... only you aren't moving the birds.... just the grass access.
I've thought about doing that, because I know how destructive they can be, thank you for reinforcing that idea. I'm definitely not expecting this to be a nice lawn...I have enough of that to mow already...lol! It sounds like you had a great setup! We've talked about the fact that we can breed the chickens any way that we would like to, that's one of the reasons I bought the FBCM, well, that & their eggs!

Last edited:

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We had such a busy weekend and got a lot accomplished. We finally planted all of our new berry plants and have the garden completely planted...yay...well at least until we have to plant our fall crops. I had to replant two rows of beans that didn't come up...they were all from the same package so I think maybe they were old. I also believe that a bird is coming in and eating my pole beans as they break through the ground...time for some target practice...lol! We also finished raking and burning many wheelbarrows full of pine needles and whatever else had to go from the free range pen. What a good feeling to have that done, next we put in a watering system then we will broadcast the grass seed and build the gate! I can't wait for the chickens to be able to use their new pen, they will love it!

These are our currants, Josta & Gooseberry plants. I think there were more rocks than dirt...lol!
Currents, Josta & Goose Berries 6.5.2020.jpg

Our Blackberries and Raspberries!
Blackberries & Raspberries 6.5.2020.jpg

Watermelon's, Crenshaw & Honeydew!
Watermelon Alley 6.5.2020.jpg

Crenshaw & Honeydew Melon  6.5.2020.jpg

Corn!
Corn Layout 6.5.2020.jpg

Free Range area all raked and ready for grass seed! Yay!!! This is a view from the far end toward the coop!
Last Burn before Planting Grass Seed 6.7.2020.jpg

A view from the new pen toward the garden! My husband lined the large rocks we dug out along the fence...good predator deterrent!
Chicken Pen to Garden View 6.7.2020.jpg

Finally...my flock devouring a Hosta I planted in their pen for them to enjoy! It was gone in no time...lol! 💞
Hosta Treat  6.7.2020.jpg

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you realize that currants and gooseberries are hosts for the white pine rust disease? There are actually places that will not sell or ship currants or gooseberries to certain states due to the white pine blister rust. It can cause the white pines to die off. Something we thought about when I was in Ct as we went back and forth to my family's properties in Vt and they are banned in certain areas there.

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Do you realize that currants and gooseberries are hosts for the white pine rust disease? There are actually places that will not sell or ship currants or gooseberries to certain states due to the white pine blister rust. It can cause the white pines to die off. Something we thought about when I was in Ct as we went back and forth to my family's properties in Vt and they are banned in certain areas there.
No, I didn't know that, thank you. We only have one white pine in our treeline & beyond that is sand & sagebrush!

Edit: After I posted my reply I asked my husband if he knew of that issue, his answer was yes, he's my tree man :) . He also told me that Snapdragons and Indian Paintbrush are also hosts!

Last edited: