Duck advice needed!

Ilovemychicks08

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hello, i am going to be getting 2 ducks in the spring. I already have the coop almost built and they will be in the run with chickens. So my questions are will the chickens stay away from the ducks pool? And what is the best feed for ducks until they are old enough to be on all flock or to be on chicken layer feed? I was looking at Purina and Manna Pro. TIA

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
The chickens and ducks can be kept in the same pen. The chickens will not bother the duck pond as long as you provide a separate waterer for them. Ducks need to immerse their heads to wash their food down so they need either a deep bucket of water or the pond. Chickens will not get in the pond unless they are startled and accidently fall in or splash through the water while trying to escape.

Chickens will need a pole to roost on while ducks will sleep on the floor of the coop. You might get chicken poop on the ducks if they settle under the roosting chickens but if you give the ducks a pond (or small plastic pool) they will wash it off. Check on a duckling grower feed at your feed store.

Ebonythehorse

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Do not keep male ducks with female chickens since they can kill them if they try to mate with them. I also would like to warn you that heavier breeds like pekins and rouens can have quite a few of leg issues since they are larger. I personally suggest cayugas, indian runners, and khaki campbells

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Do not keep male ducks with female chickens since they can kill them if they try to mate with them. I also would like to warn you that heavier breeds like pekins and rouens can have quite a few of leg issues since they are larger. I personally suggest cayugas, indian runners, and khaki campbells
On the contrary, I find that my ducks only mate in their ponds and the female chickens won’t go near enough to the ponds for the drakes to even attempt to mate with them. Although your experience could be different I guess…

Ebonythehorse

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
On the contrary, I find that my ducks only mate in their ponds and the female chickens won’t go near enough to the ponds for the drakes to even attempt to mate with them. Although your experience could be different I guess…
If they only are getting two ducks, and one or both of them are males they could easily turn to the chickens. I have successfully kept male ducks with chickens before, but they had plenty of female ducks as well. I'm just trying to warn them of the possibilities so they are prepared.

Ilovemychicks08

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The chickens and ducks can be kept in the same pen. The chickens will not bother the duck pond as long as you provide a separate waterer for them. Ducks need to immerse their heads to wash their food down so they need either a deep bucket of water or the pond. Chickens will not get in the pond unless they are startled and accidently fall in or splash through the water while trying to escape.

Chickens will need a pole to roost on while ducks will sleep on the floor of the coop. You might get chicken poop on the ducks if they settle under the roosting chickens but if you give the ducks a pond (or small plastic pool) they will wash it off. Check on a duckling grower feed at your feed store.
Ok thank you! I already have the coop for the ducks almost built, they wont be in the same coop. I figured the chickens would stay away, they only like their water that they have now.

Ilovemychicks08

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I will be getting 2 females. And i planned on getting either Welsh Harlequins or Swedish blues. Thanks you for the info!

Ilovemychicks08

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If they only are getting two ducks, and one or both of them are males they could easily turn to the chickens. I have successfully kept male ducks with chickens before, but they had plenty of female ducks as well. I'm just trying to warn them of the possibilities so they are prepared.
I definitely wont be getting males until we move somewhere that i can have more than 2-3.

DummyDrqgon

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello, i am going to be getting 2 ducks in the spring. I already have the coop almost built and they will be in the run with chickens. So my questions are will the chickens stay away from the ducks pool? And what is the best feed for ducks until they are old enough to be on all flock or to be on chicken layer feed? I was looking at Purina and Manna Pro. TIA
The chickens should stay away from the pool as long as they are offered a different water source.

Any duckling feed will do, I personally don’t like medicated feed. One thing the feed HAS to have is niacin. It is a NEED for ducks and especially young ducklings. Niacin deficiencies can cause angelwing and deformities later on. If your feed doesn’t have niacin in it you can mix brewers yeast in with the feed!

Ilovemychicks08

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The chickens should stay away from the pool as long as they are offered a different water source.

Any duckling feed will do, I personally don’t like medicated feed. One thing the feed HAS to have is niacin. It is a NEED for ducks and especially young ducklings. Niacin deficiencies can cause angelwing and deformities later on. If your feed doesn’t have niacin in it you can mix brewers yeast in with the feed!
Ok. Thank you! I will be feeding either manna pro or purina duck feed.