Dutchies are clueless - pregnant bunny or not?

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
She is probably still pregnancy. A false pregnancy can continue the entire time a real one would. Since your doe is not due for another couple days, don't worry about it. If she is pregnant she will kindle in her nest. If it is a false pregnancy she will build her nest. The end of a false pregnancy can end in expulsion of fluid, or gradual abandonment of the nest. Rabbits seldom abort. Instead they can reabsorb their fetuses.

Was the cage in the sun or a hot area? Laying stretched out and hyperventilating or panting can be signs of overheating in rabbits. They can stand very cold temperatures but not much heat.

Since you are counting the breeding as March 1, she is not due until the 30-32. This is still 3-5 days away. DO NOT remove the next box for another several days after the due date. I had a doe not kindle on the due date so a couple days later I removed the nest box. 2 days after that she kindled on the wire and I lost the entre litter. Wait until 40 days after the last date she was with the buck to remove the nest box.

By the way, don't let them "play together" anymore unless you want babies. LOL

kim&sjoerd

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
thanks

No... No more playing untill 6 weeks after The Bucks castration.

The doe pulled fur again this morning. I saw movement in the belly. She is clearly uncomfortable, But No sign of Babies yet.

kim&sjoerd

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
She is probably still pregnancy. A false pregnancy can continue the entire time a real one would. Since your doe is not due for another couple days, don't worry about it. If she is pregnant she will kindle in her nest. If it is a false pregnancy she will build her nest. The end of a false pregnancy can end in expulsion of fluid, or gradual abandonment of the nest. Rabbits seldom abort. Instead they can reabsorb their fetuses.

Was the cage in the sun or a hot area? Laying stretched out and hyperventilating or panting can be signs of overheating in rabbits. They can stand very cold temperatures but not much heat.

Since you are counting the breeding as March 1, she is not due until the 30-32. This is still 3-5 days away. DO NOT remove the next box for another several days after the due date. I had a doe not kindle on the due date so a couple days later I removed the nest box. 2 days after that she kindled on the wire and I lost the entre litter. Wait until 40 days after the last date she was with the buck to remove the nest box.

By the way, don't let them "play together" anymore unless you want babies. LOL

Goodmorning! One mode question; she pulled fur 24 Hours ago

how long after pulling fur do they normally kindle?

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I always check my nesting boxes each morning after they fulled fur..to see if she kindled, and if the kits are ok. I’ve had a doe...well, she ate her litters twice..she doesn’t get another chance.

kim&sjoerd

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Oh The vet was wrong!

My dwarf doe gave birth to 5 Babies! 4 are Alive. One (big One) was a stillborn

mom did perfect
She is eating now

I hope she will feed them and that they grow up to be little fluffy bundels of Joy

I actually filmed The birth with The WiFi camera.

Attachments

• 81D7F97C-FAC4-4179-8A78-31F9C4965E4F.jpeg
    81D7F97C-FAC4-4179-8A78-31F9C4965E4F.jpeg
    411.3 KB · Views: 178

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well congrats to you and the new momma! Way to go!

Rabbit mothers are not like cat mothers in that they don't pay much attention to the babies (kits). If a kit gets dragged out of the nest box the mom is not capable of picking it up and putting it back. Also moms nurse twice a day... the jump in the box and sit or lay there and it is up to the kits to find their way to a nipple. Rest assured the kits usually find breakfast and dinner. So don't be alarmed if you don't see the new mom be motherly.

kim&sjoerd

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well congrats to you and the new momma! Way to go!

Rabbit mothers are not like cat mothers in that they don't pay much attention to the babies (kits). If a kit gets dragged out of the nest box the mom is not capable of picking it up and putting it back. Also moms nurse twice a day... the jump in the box and sit or lay there and it is up to the kits to find their way to a nipple. Rest assured the kits usually find breakfast and dinner. So don't be alarmed if you don't see the new mom be motherly.

Thanks! I actually saw her feed them earlier this evening

One of them got launched out of The nestbox when she got out and we put it back. She came later to check on them. She is always around and has her eyes on The nest The whole time.

she looks to be a good mom

Thanks for your advise

Latest posts