Emergency bird help needed

DwayneNLiz

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello All - I am new to this forum as well as the world of owning chickens. We have an issue though.

I bought 15 chicks from a local farm up the road last Sunday. They range between the ages of 2-5 weeks old. The farm I bought them from had been using Corid in the water for the time they were at the farm, she told me I didn't need to add any more Corid to their water when I brought them home.

I give them Purina Organic chicken starter food and started with normal water. I noticed blood spots in the pen on Tuesday night, about three days after I brought them home. The farm told me to add Corid back to the water (1 tsp/gallon of water for 5 days, 1/2 tsp for days 6-10). I started that water combination on Wednesday night. Thursday night, I came home to find one of the chicks dead, another one very sluggish, not eating or drinking. She recommended I try dipping his beak in the Corid water to see if that would help to get him to drink. Unfortunately, he was too far gone and died Friday morning.

The woman from the farm came over to look at them and said they all looked okay like they had been eating (she showed me how to check the breast bone and area surrounding it to gauge if they have been eating). All looked ok from that standpoint. They are mostly very active and drinking water/eating. I noticed another one starting to look more sluggish (I'm probably overly sensitive now), so I dipped her beak a few times and she drank, seemed to perk up throughout the day. I've also cleaned the cage very well, and sterilized the feed and water bottles again. The poops has not showed in any blood in it in the last two days either. It's back to normal.

This morning everyone is looking good as well, but I'm still worried (these are my first chicks). Is there anything else that I can do to help in this situation? I'm continuing the Corid per the recommended guidelines the farm gave me above.

Thanks for any advice.
i dont think you are giving enough corid, but are you using liquid or powder??
see the info below:

Due to some confusion on dose amounts regarding the powder, I decided to do some research and this is what I have so far. For those of you that use powder Corid, if you have been using 1/2 teaspoon per gallon (~270mg) you haven't been using enough.

The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid Powder is 1/3 teaspoon.

The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid liquid is 1/2 teaspoon.

The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid Powder is 3/4 teaspoon.

The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid liquid is 1 teaspoon.

The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid Powder is 1.5 teaspoons

The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid liquid is 2 teaspoon.

Corid mixing instructions for preventative (.006%) and moderate (.012%) outbreak dosing.

http://www.corid.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/CORID Slim Jim-All.pdf

Amprol 20% powder:

http://www.asp-inc.com/products/documents/prodinfo/a/amp128.pdf

Amprol 9.6% liquid:

http://www.asp-inc.com/products/documents/prodinfo/a/amp96.pdf

FDA recommendations:

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=013-149

"Chickens

Indications: For the treatment of coccidiosis.

Amount: Administer at the 0.012 percent level in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give amprolium at the 0.024 percent level); continue with 0.006 percent amprolium-medicated water for an additional 1 to 2 weeks."

And this link has these instructions:

http://www.drugs.com/vet/amprol-9-6-solution-can.html

"Poultry - as Soon As Caecal Coccidiosis Is Diagnosed, Give 0.024% Amprolium In The Drinking Water For 5 To 7 Days. Continue The Treatment With 0.006% Amprolium Medicated Water For An Additional One To Two Weeks. No Other Source Of Drinking Water Should Be Available To The Birds During This Time."

Here's the math, let me know if I made an error.

• There are 200mg of amprolium in every 1 gram of powder.
  • 1 ounce = 3.5 tablespoons = 28.35 grams
  • 200mg x 28.35 = 5670mg in 3.5 tablespoons of powder.
  • There are 10.5 teaspoons in 3.5 tablespoons
  • There are 21 1/2 teaspoons in 10.5 teaspoons
  • 5670mg divided by 21 1/2 teaspoons = ~270mg per 1/2 teaspoon
  • There are two 1/4 teaspoons per 1/2 teaspoon
  • 270 mg divided by 2 = 135mg per 1/4 teaspoon

Amount of Amprolium (Corid or Amprol) powder per 1/4 teaspoon

• One 1/4 teaspoon = 135 mg
  • 1/2 teaspoon = 270 mg
  • 3/4 teaspoon =405 mg
  • 1 teaspoon = 540 mg
  • 1 & 1/4 teaspoons = 675 mg
  • 1 & 1/2 teaspoons = 810 mg
  • 1 & 3/4 teaspoons = 945 mg
  • 2 teaspoons= 1080 mg

Amount of Amprolium (Corid or Amprol) liquid per 1/4 teaspoon

• One 1/4 teaspoon = 120 mg
  • 1/2 teaspoon = 240 mg
  • 3/4 teaspoons = 360 mg
  • 1 teaspoon = 480 mg
  • 1 & 1/4 teaspoons = 600 mg
  • 1 & 1/2 teaspoons = 720 mg
  • 1 & 3/4 teaspoons = 840
  • 2 teaspoons = 960 mg

There are 4.92892ml/teaspoon, but the numbers above were calculated using 5ml/teaspoon

Here is what's in 1-10ml of the liquid

• 1ml = 96mg
  • 2ml = 192mg
  • 3ml = 288mg
  • 4ml = 384mg
  • 5ml = 480mg
  • 6ml = 576mg
  • 7ml = 672mg
  • 8ml = 768mg
  • 9ml = 864mg
  • 10ml = 960mg

Bottom line, 1 teaspoon (540mg) of powder is equal to 5.625ml of liquid and 1/2 teaspoon powder (270mg) is equal to 2.8125ml liquid.

1/2 teaspoon of 20% powder = 2.8125ml of 9.6% liquid - Both have 270mg of amprolium.

3/4 teaspoon of 20% powder = 4.21875ml of 9.6% liquid - Both have 405mg of amprolium.

1 teaspoon of 20% powder = 5.625ml of 9.6% liquid - Both have 540mg of amprolium.

1.5 teaspoons of 20% powder =8.4375ml of 9.6% liquid - Both have 810mg of amprolium.

1.75 teaspoons of 20% powder = 9.84375ml of 9.6% liquid - Both have 945mg of amprolium.

2 teaspoons of 20% powder = 11.25ml of 9.6% liquid - Both have 1080mg of amprolium.

And if that doesn't convince people, here is another way I did it:

http://www.asp-inc.com/products/documents/prodinfo/a/amp128.pdf:

Dosage Level Mixing Directions

0.024% Dissolve 8 ounces of AMPROL 128 20% Soluble Powder in about five gallons of water in a 50-gallon medication barrel. Stir, then add water to the 50 gallon mark. Stir thoroughly.

0.012% Follow same directions as above but use 4 ounces of AMPROL 128 20% Soluble Powder.

0.006% Follow same directions as above but use 2 ounces of AMPROL 128 20% Soluble Powder.

Facts

• One pack = 10 oz. (283.5 grams)
  • One ounce = 28.35 grams
  • One ounce of powder = ~3.5 tablespoons
  • 200mg amprolium per 1 gram

My twisted math for the .024% level

If 8 ounces (28.35g x 8 = 226.8 grams) are needed for 50 gallons, then 1/50 of that is needed for 1 gallon, right? So that would be 226.8 grams divided by 50 = 4.536 grams per gallon. (doing this as I type, so correct me if I'm wrong, please!)

So how much does a teaspoon of Corid or Amprol powder weigh? Anyone know? Well, time to break out my gram scale and do some weighing... also have a call into the mfg of Corid and I'm expecting a call back from them.

Just got a call back from them and it is 4.536 grams per gallon. He also said that it's a very safe product and the risk of overdosing is very slim.

-Kathy

Disclaimer:

In the past I have treated my chicken chicks with 2 teaspoons of the liquid for 5-7 days, that's it, but I *might* try the .006% follow up the next time I have to treat chicks.

Wyorp Rock

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score

X2 on the Corid dosage.

@Sukhabardo The only other thing that made me think twice - your opening statement you mention you are using water bottle - is this a nipple system? Did the chicks drink from a nipple system before you got them? If not, then watch to make sure they are staying hydrated.
Just my thoughts:)

Wickedchicken6

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
see the info below:

X2 on the Corid dosage.

@Sukhabardo The only other thing that made me think twice - your opening statement you mention you are using water bottle - is this a nipple system? Did the chicks drink from a nipple system before you got them? If not, then watch to make sure they are staying hydrated.
Just my thoughts:)

I'd concur with their assessments. I haven't used Corid, but I've used Amprolium. There is a maintenance size dose and there's a couple of strengths of treatment dose, for Amprolium, depending on how bad the coccidi are. The owner would have had them on a maintenance dose. Likely the stress of moving etc allowed the strain of Eimeria (Coccidiosis) they're carrying to flourish, which is when you noticed the blood. Blood can be a sign. The chicks will have to be on a treatment dose for an amount of time until it's cleared up. I just went through this last August.

The particular strain I have doesn't cause any bleeding with the poop...they just looked unthrifty and were dead in an 1-3 hours. There are several strains of Eimeria...not all cause the same symptoms. Having the blood show up is a good indication.

Latest posts