Gloves-both the long above elbow type and the latex/rubber gloves
Powdered colustrum
OB Lube
calf bottle/nipple
esophageal feeding tube
tube of calcium (for milkfever)
gun for tube of calcium
Lg. Rectal Thermometer
Bloat treatment-they make some or liquid soap will work too. Another bloat treatment it walking them or in a really bad case senerio tubing them so a piece of rubber hose works good for this.

Can anyone think of anything else one should have on hand? I will add suggestions to this list above so it's all together. I'm thinking it should be the first line of defence stuff. The things one would need to start treating and injury or illness.

What would be the general consencious on something like LA-200 or Tylan for pnuemonia? It's not as diverse as penicillan but, if you have pnuemonia hit you'd want the meds ASAP. I know we have it on hand but, we have more head than the typical backyardcow person would have.

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We may not need these things, but we also have a calf bottle and nipple, an esophageal feeding tube, lube, and 7% iodine solution (which we will definitely need).

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Great! Keep them coming. I know we have and use all these things. But, I didn't want to overdo it if you guys as the BYCow people didn't need them. Sometimes, what we need as a small operation is different than what you need as a few head operation.

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I kind of hope that by having these things on hand we WON'T ever need them!:D

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
I don't know anything about the powdered clostrum.
I usally hit up a local dairy before calving season for the real stuff, and freeze it, in case I need it.
Which would be best?

And ladies, if you need to go in and use the OB chains or straps(I like the straps) you should cut your nails!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
amysflock said:
I kind of hope that by having these things on hand we WON'T ever need them!:D
I hear you! I sure wish that deliveries went textbook perfect so I never had to learn to do an episotomy.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
thewife said:
I don't know anything about the powdered clostrum.
I usally hit up a local dairy before calving season for the real stuff, and freeze it, in case I need it.
Which would be best?

And ladies, if you need to go in and use the OB chains or straps(I like the straps) you should cut your nails!
The real stuff is best, if you can get a good quality colustrum. The powdered stuff is a good substitute.

Cut my nails? Cutting them any further would hurt! They are already cut down to the quick! :gig

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
now thats too short miss kitty.did you an miss peanut go vote.

Latest posts