Emergency Vet Trip for Blue!

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think I ike the idea of putting the loop around a body part away from the head, which puts you farther away from the teeth of an angry, focused dog.

I can see where an angry dog can quickly turn to bite someone pulling on their tail. Which is why I wasn't sure I would try that in a dog fight.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry about Blue:(.

He is so handsome looking, (even with a partly torn ear).

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
We also have a pack, and every now and again weha a to break up a squabble.

I have found that it depends on the dog. Two of ours will back down of I assert my dominance. One, Sully, will not back down. period. I usually have to loop him and pull him back. It takes a moment or two to get his focus sometimes.

I don't like when people go for the head during fights. That's how you get bit! When they're in that "mode" it takes a lot to break concentration. Sully usually breaks the fights up, though, and rarely partakes. Food scraps from the kitchen are what usually stirs them up. They don't ever get them intentionally.

I'm sorry about your boy. That was looks bad, glad he got stitched up ! Poor baby.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah Blue has never started a fight and generally will avoid one unless he thinks we are somehow at risk.
I did get backed into a corner once, it happened so fast. Blue dove in and pushed the two offending dogs back so I could get out.

I think when these things happen it is a bit sobering and reminds you of just why these dogs are bred to do what they do- guard. These are animals that can take on wolves, they are powerful.

Blue is 140lbs, Pete about 135, but a bit taller. They could have done some real damage to each other but they didn't. A torn ear and a few punctures. It was over quick, thankfully.

DH asked me if I regret not doing their ears. Most places in the world they crop the ears on them for this reason. I didn't feel the need and it makes them look mean. ;) I like happy looking dogs. :D No real issues with wolves here so no need.

They definitely were easier to deal with then 2 females though. :hideGood golly female dogs hold a grudge for life. Seems like they always have to have the last word. :lol:

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've heard the same about female dogs! Most people with Alanos crop the ears too, but we left Clara's alone. She's too darn cute to look mean!

Blue sounds like a lovely dog!

It's amazing how many people forget that dogs are animals and expect them to act like people. Not everyone should own a 140 lb dog.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score

We actually do something similar to catch an errant goat. The goats will never turn down an offer of alfalfa pellets in a bowl. So I take a leash, making a loop with the handle end. I slip the loop over my hand & take the treat bowl in my hand. Once the goat starts eating the treats, I slip the loop over their head and we are headed back to the pen. No muss, no fuss. :)
Hmm I bet that would work with my alpacas. OK after I can do more than scratch under their chin with the hand holding the pellets WHILE they are picking them out of my palm.

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Eliza is actually a spay candidate. She cycles every 3 months and for some reason her scent is extremely strong.

Do you know why? Do you think she's cystic (I'm thinking goats)?

DH asked me if I regret not doing their ears. Most places in the world they crop the ears on them for this reason.

I apologize for my ignorance and I'm probably just not reading this right- what reason are the ears cropped for? From what I interpreted, I thought it sounded like you meant so they wouldnt get damaged in a fight, but that doesnt sound right...I always thought it was just for looks.

Latest posts