Ewe Not Eating

ReedyForkFarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am a newbie so this might not be an emergency…
I have a 2 year old ewe pregnant due the middle to end of May. She has not eaten for the last 3 days and is laying down almost constantly. Sometimes she stands and stretches har back feet out far behind her. She also stretches out her neck. Her legs seem to be working fine with no signs of cuts or infection.
I have also checked the pasture and shelter for diarrhea and did not find any.
I have called a vet but they must be really busy and not able to return my call.
I hope it is something I can help her overcome!
Lynn

ReedyForkFarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am a newbie so this might not be an emergency…
I have a 2 year old ewe pregnant due the middle to end of May. She has not eaten for the last 3 days and is laying down almost constantly. Sometimes she stands and stretches har back feet out far behind her. She also stretches out her neck. Her legs seem to be working fine with no signs of cuts or infection.
I have also checked the pasture and shelter for diarrhea and did not find any.
I have called a vet but they must be really busy and not able to return my call.
I hope it is something I can help her overcome!
Lynn
Just to add - the ewe is a Barbados Blackbelly
Lynn

ReedyForkFarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I got in to see the vet! After some blood work it revealed that her white blood cell count was high and she was dehydrated. They did not say what kind of infection. The vet gave her an antibiotic shot and put her on a 14 day antibotic cycle. The vet also gave me electrolytes for the ewe’s water.

Side note - my daughter is a nurse midwife and - she suggested a bladder infection after watching the stretching an straining the ewe was presenting.

Praying the ewe will have a speedy recovery.
I will update as things progress.

ReedyForkFarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Update - day 8 of antibiotic an ewe ( Daphne) is standing most of the day, drinking water but not eating much. She will munch on woven wheat cracker treats. 6 more days of antibiotics.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Update - day 8 of antibiotic an ewe ( Daphne) is standing most of the day, drinking water but not eating much. She will munch on woven wheat cracker treats. 6 more days of antibiotics.
Huh...that doesn't sound good at all.

I would have thought after day 8 she would be acting normal or st least close to it.

Have you asked the vet?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
For dehydration I make home made electrolytes. 5 heaping teaspoons of sugar to one teaspoon salt in a quart of water. I use a sheep drench 50 cc gun to give it to them. Sometimes I mix a little molasses in it. I also use Nutri-Drench for sheep, 4-6 pumps 2-3 times a day.

For a urinary infection, apple cider vinegar 50/50 with water, helps. ACV kills the bad bacteria and not the beneficial bacteria. Add a little honey to make it more palatable, plus honey is antiviral. Give her probiotics or live culture non flavored yogurt. Water down the yogurt so that it goes through a drench gun or syringe. Antibiotics kills everything and you need to restart her gut.

The homemade electrolytes and ACV work well on people too, just so you know. ACV will stop vomiting and diarrhea, even food poisoning. Save you a trip to the ER.

Keep us informed on her progress. We know the heartache of loss and truly care.

ReedyForkFarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Huh...that doesn't sound good at all.

I would have thought after day 8 she would be acting normal or st least close to it.

Have you asked the vet?
I was thinking that too - I am calling the vet back today.
Thanks for helping confirm my doubts.

Latest posts