Excess goat kids

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
AlaskanShepherdess said:
For a Nigerian you won't be reaching 40-50lbs for a number of months, I have not ever weighed any of my goats so I could be off, but I know I can still easily pick up my 3mo babies, and I cannot easily pick up a 50lb bag. I'll have to ask my husband how much he thinks Gusto weighed, because an 8wk old baby would certainly not be worth the $25 IMO. I just picked up a small for her age 2 yo doe this morning and she *may* have been 50lb.
The doe kid we retained this year was 35 lbs at 4 months. After that she leveled off.

AlaskanShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
n.smithurmond said:
AlaskanShepherdess said:
For a Nigerian you won't be reaching 40-50lbs for a number of months, I have not ever weighed any of my goats so I could be off, but I know I can still easily pick up my 3mo babies, and I cannot easily pick up a 50lb bag. I'll have to ask my husband how much he thinks Gusto weighed, because an 8wk old baby would certainly not be worth the $25 IMO. I just picked up a small for her age 2 yo doe this morning and she *may* have been 50lb.
The doe kid we retained this year was 35 lbs at 4 months. After that she leveled off.
By leveled off do you mean her growth rate slowed?

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes, her growth rate slowed. I haven't weighed her lately, but she's 5 months now and if I had to venture a guess I'd say she's a little over 40 lbs. Maybe closer to 45.

Hillsvale

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I didn't read everyone's response but we have boer goats, boer nubian crosses. Last year we processed a boer nubian cross at 7 months right along side the lambs, he dressed out to be 25 pounds and we pay 54.00 kill, cut and wrap.... this year the one being processed will be about 9 months now that we have a new butcher which will process when we want it done.

I can't imagine the point of having an 8 week old goat and killing it for meat.... what meat? Grow it out and make it worth your while not to mention the fact that you could potentially sell the meat, goat is the most widely eaten meat worldwide...

ETA, OP... if your goat is 40 pounds live weight you'll only see about 15 pounds of meat....

Shayanna

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We butchered a 50 lb nubian kid and got 30 lbs of meat off of him. All cuts.

Hickoryneck

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I raise full sized dairy goats but was thinking of buying a full blood Boer Doe to breed to my dairy buck then process her kids every year we process deer so would do that ourselves.

I talked to a women down the road who raises goats for meat she said she processes Boers at 8 mos and dairy/boer crosses at 10 months, I have been meaning to ask her how much they weight then and how much meat she gets

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Our local slaughter house slaughters and processes our goats. They charge $25 a piece to slaughter and another $45 to process the yearling goats and they use vacuum sealing as a means of packaging the meat which is totally the way to go. I had the choice of quartering the goats or the full process which included the shoulder roasts, a brisket, the hams, the loin, and a choice of rib slabs or chops. They also would give the option of leaving the goat whole for an outdoor rotisserie over a fire. So total I had $50 in slaughter and $90 in processing ($140 total) invested and half of my freezer was full of all natural, basically organic raised, grass fed goat meat. The goats were born on my farm and survived on mother's milk and pasture so no money spent on buying slaughter goats.