Exercising rabbits...

Libertyangora

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm thinking about using a large dog crate to exercise my rabbits, I would keep the sides and top to keep the cats and other predators out... Any advice? It would be nice to see other peoples setup so can get some ideas.

leanneellison1979

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
my rabbits are house rabbits so they free range in the dining room most of the time. if they go in the back yard they just go free and we keep the dogs in but if they go out in the front yard they go in a pen thats made up of 18 panels pegged into the grass. mine are pet rabbits and i know it is different for meat rabbits and people that have loads of rabbits too. we only have grass at the front the back yard is paving stones

Libertyangora

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I live on ten acres so space isn't an issue for me but we have five barn cats so that's why I use a dog crate. The holes in the floor are so big that I don't really worry too much about their feet getting caught.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
I used the 1"x2" roll of mesh to make an exercise pen. It was 6' long, and the roll is 24" high, so I kept mine simple by making it 2' deep and 2' high. I then fastened a top of the same material by using J clamps to one side like hinges.
I could stake it down and I put it in the yard under a couple maple trees for shade. I just too k each ones' own water bottle and fastened it to the side while they were inside it. It worked good, but necessity took over, and I converted it to a couple grow-out pens with a bottom of 1/2"x1" mesh and divided it in half with leftover material I had of the 1'x2".
This Spring I think I will get another roll of the 1"x2" and attach it in the corner of a chain link fence in my backyard.
I will probably look for chicken wire or netting to put over the top.

Lamb Lover

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I had a friend build a pen for me. It's just mesh and some small panels to hold it together. It's not very big and we need to expand it now that they are bigger but they also have free range of the hall and living room in the house, a hutch and a dog crate. When they were younger I took them on walks, these are pets and very spoiled ones at that. For your bunnies I would suggest a dog run with a top. They're the chain link ones with the swinging door. You could make a good sized one and it would keep the cats out. Then to block the open spots by the door you could just take some chip board or any spare wood panels and block it off. I wanted to do that with mine but we don't have the room. Good luck!

Libertyangora

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Do you have pics? I'm going to need to expand mine soon but I need ideas. I would also need some way to split it in half so the buck and doe can't get to each other.

Libertyangora

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm also thinking about leash training the buck. The doe would be a bit to jumpy to leash train her. Any thoughts?

Lamb Lover

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
@Libertyangora Well I got harnesses from Petsmart and they were $11 each I think but they're poorly made and broke. Rabbits don't take to leash training, at least mine haven't. The smaller one Monkey would run as long as you were behind her but Clover the dominant one would only move if you pulled. She would only take a couple steps though. I'd say find a harness that works for you and if your rabbit is food motivated give it a try. I don't have a picture of my pen but if you wanted to see I could post a couple. It doesn't have a top or a divider but when I extant it I want both. My ladies have been fighting recently and just today Clover took a chunk out of Monkey. Ah bunnies.

Latest posts