family dog

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Difference between a pound and a "shelter"... the pound isn't for profit.
Exactly, this one is run by their animal control, it isn't an actual "shelter" - so no shots, neutering, etc. The local rescue is a couple hundred dollars per dog - their dogs sit there for extended periods as well.
Bruce, also, I live in one of those states that ferries animals up north to fill shelters because ours are overflowing. They had dogs loose inside their kennel because they had run out of space - we freed up an entire space by taking these two and they were glad for it.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
This might be long... lol.

@promiseacres we are at similar places in our lives. Young kids to worry about being at the top of the priority list.

I’m going to start by saying I’ve worked for 3 different vets in our town (one I didn’t agree with practices and left for a position at another and worked there three years, the last was my vet and I worked there while in nursing school for 2 years. Loved the last two.) This afforded me the opportunity to be around almost every breed of dog. I did everything from taking care of boarded dogs in the kennels to assisting with appointments and surgeries to clerical work. I also participated in the dog portion of our local 4-H for two years. We stopped because my sister got big in basketball and participating in dogs interfered. (Wasn’t my choice.) I’ve also researched breeds extensively and have developed graphs of traits both admirable and unsavory. I often get calls from people asking my opinion on the appropriate breed, help finding a RESPECTABLE breeder, and tips on what to discuss and have ready plus training.

We are not candidates to adopt from true rescues because our yard isn’t fenced. My argument is that I live on 42 Acres. I want my dogs to exercise.

All that said, I’ve had both types of dogs. My current housedog is a GS mix that we adopted from a pound. Her story is on my journal so I won’t go into all the details. Her biggest issue was that if you touched her tail, she’d turn around and put her mouth on you as a warning. We didn’t have kids at the time but knew we wanted them so we desensitized her. Promise Acres doesn’t have this “luxury” and I don’t at the present time. I wouldn’t trade this dog for a million dollars though and I would do it all over again as long as my kids weren’t endangered.

We have an English Shepherd. Her story is also on my journal. She’s amazingly smart and agile. The drawback is that they don’t tolerate training with a heavy hand or even a very harsh voice. Ours was supposed to help herd (not like a Border Collie) and be an overall farm dog. She chased a goat and DH threw his hat at her. She will not even look at the goats now. Just something to keep in mind. She is a wonderful farm dog and great with the kids, even though the kids arrived after her.

We have two Aussies that I haven’t introduced on my journal yet. They were obtained as pets/farm dogs/companions for my two older children. They each got one and they know who they belong to. I LOVE this breed and we can actually pair them together if we decide to do our own litter. They are from a well respected breeder. Her dogs are fully tested, socialized, you name it. She’s wonderful and loves my children too. She’s just a text away and has never hesitated to assist with anything. I would be happy to refer you to her if you are interested. She’s in Southern Indiana along the Ohio River like me. Her prices are decently reasonable and she typically offers limited AKC registration on dogs going to more of a “pet” home to make sure that her dogs aren’t priced too high for families. She does sell expensive dogs with full AKC to show/working/breeder homes too. She is flat amazing. I would buy from her again in a heartbeat. (Full AKC can be purchased later for a few if your son decides he wants to do some of those things.) She also has horses, cats, and lots of grandkid so no worries about socialization. She usually has four or so litters a year from 4 females so usually availability isn’t a problem. Repeat buyers and referrals make most of her sales. She rarely advertises!

We also had a side of the road special that was unable to have her breeding distinguished at all. She was a nightmare from somebody getting a cute pup and having no idea what to do. Fine with kids but took a ton of energy and time to get her on the right track.

I really want a lab but won’t buy one. Our local pound always has a surplus of every age so I’ll just go pick one out when the time comes. I can’t see buying one when I could give a home to one that has had unfortunate circumstances. That being said, I don’t believe in rescuing any animal that will deal directly with livestock. Those animals are usually where they are for a reason. I know that they have been rehabbed successfully by some but time doesn’t allow for that with small children in the home.

Each family must do what is best for them. I, personally dream of a Corgi also. Not while my children are little. My reasoning is that they can injure their backs fairly easily and that doesn’t mix well with young children. Some are fine with kids while others are snippy. This could be specific lines but wouldn’t chance it. I’ll get one when my kids are early teens to avoid my kids being too young and grandkids. (As I said, this is my personal decision and I would never discount you from choosing otherwise.)

Another breed that you should consider is a Brittany Spaniel. Not a livestock dog but very trainable and family oriented. If I think of another breed, I’ll edit to add at the bottom of this post or create a new one.

During my 4-H years, lots of the kids did well with mixed breeds that were obtained as pups when oops litters happened...

I really think the best fit for your son is a breed that trains easily and is great with kids. Personally, I’d lean toward an Aussie for the farmability too (may not be an actual word! Lol) I will say that Aussies are too much for some people. They leave them to their own devices and wonder why they get into mischief. You have enough experience with the breed to know about training them also. Ours are crazy smart and attached as appropriate.

Whatever way you choose, I wish your family the best of luck!! (Feel free to message me if you have additional breed questions.)

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I, personally dream of a Corgi also. Not while my children are little. My reasoning is that they can injure their backs fairly easily and that doesn’t mix well with young children.
Doesn't that suggest that there is a "structural" problem with the breed?? Were they screwed up by breeding for specific traits, like English Bulldogs which would cease to exist at all if it weren't for vets and C-sections?

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Doesn't that suggest that there is a "structural" problem with the breed?? Were they screwed up by breeding for specific traits, like English Bulldogs which would cease to exist at all if it weren't for vets and C-sections?

The long bodies of Corgis lend them to easier back injuries similar to a Dachshund.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep, old neighbor's dachshund broke his back going down the stairs. I believe he decided to jump the last one. I think I would avoid a breed that could so easily break and need to be put down.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Corgis aren’t as bad as Dachshunds. I just feel like it’s raking more of a chance with young children around that can be tougher than necessary without realizing the consequences.

Latest posts