Farm journal?

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I remember the cards well, and the paper punch tape too.
Magnetic storage tape is making a comeback (never really went away) ..punched tape and cards..thankfully gone for good.
For those that never saw a punch card, they probably did see a paycheck or income tax refund check with a few punch holes in it. Each hole..it's size, spacing and location meant 'something'.

I went to a big oilfield surplus equipment auction in Houston in the 80s or early 90s looking for a 300kw diesel gen set. There were dozens of big CNC machines there, all run off punch tape programs. They sold for scrap metal prices.
I worked as a machinist in the late 90s thru mid 2000s. Back then, I could write G code in my head walking down the street. I probably couldn't make a unit zero out or 'home' today, much less do any production work. use it or lose it..

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We did a lot of our initial record keeping on computer but after we started to increase our herd numbers we went to paper. Every one of our animals has their own page that shows all of the pertinent info. It's easier to take a notebook down to the handling area when tagging, giving shots or any of the other routine things.

We even went back to paper for farm expenses and put all expenditures in a ledger which we hand off to our book keeper at tax time.
Good for you for keeping your paper ledger , however you will need to keep all of your paper receipts and cancelled checks for your expences if and when you are invited for an audit. Without the paper receipt trail, ledgers , quick books, etc. just will not fly.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I keep the paper receipts too.

My computer experience didn't start until 1993 or so. First computer was a Mac Classic 2. Then I decided to go back to school and really learn this stuff and ended up with certifications in Novell Netware as that is what most schools were using and working in education is where my heart was. I learned Windows networking on the fly. Finally got my degree in MIS at the ripe age of 47 and worked as a network engineer and IT director for about 15 years. And here I am today...building a dairy. Weird has the tide changes.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good for you for keeping your paper ledger , however you will need to keep all of your paper receipts and cancelled checks for your expences if and when you are invited for an audit. Without the paper receipt trail, ledgers , quick books, etc. just will not fly.
When, was the last time you actually saw a "cancelled check" come in your monthly bank statement?
(besides, we live in a paperless society. I know this because a scant 30 years after we were all promised flying cars, we were told we would be moving to a paperless society within 10 years and that date has long passed..for both..I want my flyin car dammit!)

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Break out that check book GB:

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's a far cry from what was promised Joe.
If you have to fold the airfoil (wings and or rotors) to pull up to a gas pump or get it in a standard sized garage door, or even drive it on a standard sized road, it ain't a flying car..it's an aircraft that can be modified to fit on a road.
NOT the same thing.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Greybeard , as for the canceled checks- you have to request your bank to send the cancelled checks to you for an IRS audit. The IRS reviews paper trail only ! NO paper trail --you do NOT get any deductions without written proof of purchase, contract,receipt of purchase or depretiation deductions AND proof of payment.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hope you don't mind a continued Hi-Jack. I was sitting on the couch watching golf a few minutes ago and for whatever reason the image of a Univac 1219 main frame computer came into my mind along with the model number of the system. These old main frames were used from the mid 60's up through the late 70's before they finally started to be upgraded. I did a search and surprisingly found an image of a system (on pallets of course) but this was what was used (in our case) to be able to fly aircraft with no pilot assist other than allowing us to lock on back to the ship. Pilots for a lot of reasons that I don't blame them for did not like this system but stayed familiar with it since it was used a lot during combat ops in SE Asia. Real estate on a military ship is amazingly expensive but I thought it was cool that the laptop I'm writing this on has more computing power than that big bank of computers and data storage that was used back before many knew what a computer was.

These systems were used on aircraft carriers for air traffic control but they were also used on several classes of Navy vessels for weapons system control.

Univac 1219.jpg