Farmer Tired of Kiko Goats - selling herd in Raleigh, NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenfamilyfarms

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I ran across this ad and thought maybe somebody would be interested. Sounds like this guy/gal is tired of goats...

Kiko meat goat herd sire, IKGA registered purebred, solid red, throws all color, DOB 1/07, never wormed or had feet trimmed, $495; Kiko meat goat breeding stock, tired of trimming hooves and abandoned kids, get Kikos, $199 up. Bill Thornton, Raleigh

Phone number provided by PM request only.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Wow, that person wants a lot of money for goats that aren't taken care of. Hopefully someone will buy them so they don't suffer.

greenfamilyfarms

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
helmstead said:
And who would even want production stock that abandons their kids? :idunno
Well, honestly, most folks around here just let their goats kid in the pasture. I don't know if that is true for this person, but it is common practice here. That may account for them "abandoning" kids.

The reason I posted them here is because I know there are folks on here that will take care of them like they should. If you are not interested, that's not a problem.

Calliopia

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
And in the world of free range meat goats.. the statement "never wormed or trimmed" can actually be a good thing. It can be a sign of a very low maintenance goat.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Yep, I think that's what Kikos are known for...

Just the abandoning kids part bothers me, but a more diligent farmer might actually enjoy bottle babies :cool:

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Abandoning their kids is rare for Kikos....mothering skills are part of the performance data they keep on the breed and they accel at it.

Mayhap they're not getting the care they need TO take care of their kids.....A doe w/out enough milk will abandon her weaker kid.

Kikos are meant to be 'low maintenance' on good pasture.
A lot of people buy them and then try to dry-lot them on the cheap.

The hardiest goat in the world can't raise kids if they're starving.

I'm *not* saying that's the case here, just a possibility. It sounds like someone who didn't realize goats can be a bit of work to maintain.

:ep

I agree the "never wormed or had hooves trimmed" is probably *supposed* to be a selling point, but he sure didn't word it right, LOL.

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Calliopia said:
And in the world of free range meat goats.. the statement "never wormed or trimmed" can actually be a good thing. It can be a sign of a very low maintenance goat.
That's what I was thinking- they didn't get it because they didn't need it. We hope anyway!

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I just went through the herd to trim and eyelid check everyone this weekend. None of my Kiko's needed worming and they only needed a little bit of hoof trimming. Probably could have gone until next time but as long as I had them there. The Boers on the other hand..........

This guy doesn't market his goats very well, I doubt he will get the prices he is asking for. I wish I were nearer, I would go and lowball an offer for the whole lot of them just to see if he will bite. The best goats I have are from herds that some would call "neglected" I call them low maintenance. Of course the down side is when I have to catch them...... No trimming or deoworming means no handling and not accustomed to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.